PDA

View Full Version : Smaller, more frequent water changes...

Quinn
09-20-2003, 08:08 PM
Since my tank was set up in May, I have been performing a 20 gallon water change every two weeks. Everything has gone well, and I am considering a change. It would be extremely easy for me to change 6 gallons once per week. The tank volume is ~150 gallons. What do you guys think?

Canadian Man
09-20-2003, 09:19 PM
IMO Quinn that is alot of water changes.
If 6 gallon's a week is easier for you than go for it.

It's been about 3 week's now since the tank switch over and I might do a waterchange at the 1 month mark.

My monthly waterchange will be a green rubermaid garbage container which is in truth about 18 real gallon's. so 3 salt bucket's worth.

cheers

Jack
09-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Quinn,

I do an Instant Ocean bucket ( I think it's 7 gallons? ) water change every week. I have a 120g tank, 30g sump, 20g fuge. I think it's better for smaller more frequent water changes.

I'll try and get you pics. I've got a valve off one of my drain's that I use to remove water from the system. And I've got another Instant Ocean bucket raised above the sump. This is my "mixing bucket" I have it plumbed so that I just add water, salt, heat, and mix it then turn a valve to open it so it drains to the sump. Takes about 3 minutes to do a water change.

I just wish I had a drain in my room. I've to haul the other IO bucket to the bathtub. Lifes rough. :rolleyes:

Beverly
09-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Quinn,

I do weekly 15% water changes on all my tanks, plus break down and clean filtration systems and powerheads. If I had a skimmer, I'd clean it weekly as well. Clean machines work more efficiently than ones that are clogged with detritus and crud :cool:

sumpfinfishe
09-21-2003, 09:25 AM
Hi Quinn,
Well IMO I would say sure-why not. :exclaim:
You mentioned that you have had the tank up and running since May with everything running good-well if it's been running good-why try fix it if it's not broken. Then again, you will be performing a 15% change over the course of a month with less of a shock to your system. I would give it a test run for a few months and see what happens.

I look at it this way, if your a dog/cat owner you will spend a few hours a week minimum taking care of your pet. So us reefers should at least try to spend the same amount of time cleaning the water, equipment, and feeding of our creatures too! Viewing our tanks to monitor our fish and coral's health is not considered a chore in my opinion.
-just my two bits! I don't mean to preach :mrgreen:
cheers, Rich