PDA

View Full Version : Help

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
i got a pepperment shrimp today and got it home and now it looks clear and there seems to be yellow/orange egg looking things under his legs
should i not put him in the tank??

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 07:23 PM
bump

noirsphynx
01-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Was it pale when you bought it? How long & how did you acclimate? What are your tank parameters? The yellowish things under its abdomen are most likely eggs.

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
it dident looked clear in the lfs tank and im still acclimating it now and on live aquaria says to pour 1/2 cup water every 4 mins empty half do again 4 times each then scoop in

noirsphynx
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
It sounds like it's just stressed. Shrimp need to be slowly acclimated to your tank, slower than fish imo. The drip method is best. If you do it too fast you could end up with a dead shrimp. This has been my experience anyhow and i've learned it must be done slow.

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
just noticed that he looks better now prob dident like the bag :P
think i jumped the gun :)

Albertan22
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Shrimp can be very finiky. I've found that drip aclimating shrimp for at least 45 minutes has given me the best survival rate. Given you've already started though, make sure to test the salinity in your bag and keep acclimating until it is equal to that of your display tank.

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
thank you, patience is a virtue in this hobby :) ill look into the drip method for future use again ty for the quick answer ( i love canreef ) :)

Borderjumper
I always acclimate my shrimps VERY slowly.. like a slow drip that takes a couple of hours.

Dont worry about the color of the shrimp.. its stressed and that makes them look pale.

The yellow orange things are eggs.. its really common for shrimps to spawn in the tank.

Its very very difficult to raise the baby shrimp, but the fish in the tank will go crazy when they release the shrimpettes!

Oh and the shrimp will molt.. so dont be shocked when you see his "skin" on the bottom of the tank! Hes not dead.. he just molted.

Albertan22
Hmm Noirsphynx was faster than me :razz:

Aquaria
01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
lol well i already have one, my last crab was supposed to be a emerald but ended up getting a strawberry some how and killed a shrimp. so i got another one ty