PDA

View Full Version : Gas In Male Seahorse Pouch

Madreefer
01-10-2010, 06:27 PM
My male keeps getting gas in his pouch. I have released the gas but it comes back every couple of days. Any way to remove this permanetly? I have done alot of research on this topic and can't find a proper answer, so I'm hoping that those who have expereinced this or owned seahorses can help me out.

Triggz
01-10-2010, 06:34 PM
I have dealt with this a couple of times myself. What type of filtration are you running? Are you using a protein skimmer? I would first try and find out how he is getting the micro bubbles in his pouch.

Eyford01
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM
This was taken from the library section at seahorse.org, they also have a forum dedicated to seahorse diseases, it might be worth while to sign up and ask your question there for a more in depth answer

Pouch Emphysema

Pouch Emphysema is characterized by air trapped in the pouch of the male seahorse. This condition, like EGBD and IGBD, can cause the seahorse to float and interfere with his ability to swim, hitch and feed. The suspected causes of PE include micro-bubbles in the aquarium and error in the hydration of carbon dioxide to carbonic acid. The micro-bubbles referred to are not those produced by air stones and water overflow to a sump, but rather the microscopic bubbles like those produced under pressure by some skimmer designs or by air leaks before water pumps.

In most cases, pouch emphysema can be cured with a simple pouch evacuation. >>View article on pouch evacuations
PE can be relieved successfully through manual evacuation of the pouch. Persistent or reoccurring cases of PE have been treated with methods including flushing the pouch with carbonic anhydrase inhibitors and treatment with antibiotics, as well as modification of the environment to prevent micro-bubbles or release them through gas exchange. As always, to prevent reoccurrence, effort needs to be made not only to treat the symptoms, but to identify and correct the underlying source of the problem.

Triggz
01-10-2010, 07:52 PM
This was taken from the library section at seahorse.org, they also have a forum dedicated to seahorse diseases, it might be worth while to sign up and ask your question there for a more in depth answer.

+1

seahorse.org is like the "bible" of seahorse info as far as I'm concerned.

Madreefer
01-10-2010, 08:15 PM
I have dealt with this a couple of times myself. What type of filtration are you running? Are you using a protein skimmer? I would first try and find out how he is getting the micro bubbles in his pouch.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/tankdec27008.jpg
Posted this pic so easier to describe and to answer filtration and skimmer question. So I have a small Laguna pump that goes from the far left side of the sump up to the right side of the 33G seahorse tank and than drains in to the tank underneath. There is no micro bubbles. I figured I needed a little more flow in the SH tank so I added a Hydor Koralia Nano. I see no micro bubbles still. I just got the gas out of the seahorse a couple of hours ago and it looks as if he is "pregnant" again. I know the SH tank kinda looks like ass but most of my efforts go in to my display which is on the floor above this setup.

365seasons
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't worry too much. Pouch emphysema is a very common occurrence in male seahorses. My husband and I have dealt with this many times.

Is he bouyant, and floating at the top? Because that would be your first worry, as he is unable to get food. Burping the pouch is the easiest way, but is a short term fix for the most part. And if you do it to much, you will cause trauma to the stomach.
To burp the pouch, just hitch the male seahorse around a finger so you have a firm grip of him, upwards in the water, and using your index and thumb finger, gently massage from the base of his tail up to his pouch. This should release a stream of air bubbles when he opens up. If air doesn't come out this way, you can also use a small blunt object to try and tickle his opening up. a bobby pin works great, and don't try to stick it it, just tease it, and it should open up and allow the air to come out when you burp.

Probably the best thing you can do is give him some Diamox, if you can get your hands on it. This can be given orally (mysis with it-most effective) as a bath, or as a pouch wash. A pouch flush is when you use a catheter and a small syringe (you can get them from the drug stores) and you flush the pouch out. This seems painful, but really isn't.

Another method that I have had great success with, and is not as hard as it may seem is a needle aspiration.
All you need is a small hypodermic needle (again,drug store) which you insert into the SIDE of the pouch as to not cause trauma to the front. Depress the plunger to suck up some air, and then release it (it will not release just by puncturing the pouch) Do this on both sides. Again, we've had great success releasing air from a brood pouch with this method.

Pete Giwonja on the seahorse.com forum boards can give you WAY more detailed descriptions on how to do any of these procedures, and usually gets back to you within the day. He is a master of seahorses as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully I have been of some help, and if you have any questions, I will try to ask them. Good luck!!