PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a 55

Eyford01
01-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Alrighty then, I have a 55g mixed reef with attached 29g sump/fuge current residents include CUC snails and crabs, sps lps and softies, 1 neon goby 1 hectors goby 1 firefish 1 yellow watchman and 2 mandarin (soon to be 1 as soon as I can net one)
so I was thinking a yellow tang maybe? I looked into tangs at one point and decided the tank was too small but am now revisiting the idea, does anyone know of a smaller tang that would be happy in my tank? Or any other types of fish that would do well? Nothing that will nip or pick on the others or eat crustaceans

naesco
01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Alrighty then, I have a 55g mixed reef with attached 29g sump/fuge current residents include CUC snails and crabs, sps lps and softies, 1 neon goby 1 hectors goby 1 firefish 1 yellow watchman and 2 mandarin (soon to be 1 as soon as I can net one)
so I was thinking a yellow tang maybe? I looked into tangs at one point and decided the tank was too small but am now revisiting the idea, does anyone know of a smaller tang that would be happy in my tank? Or any other types of fish that would do well? Nothing that will nip or pick on the others or eat crustaceans

No, sorry but your tank is too small for tangs.
The reason is that tangs are swimmers and need the length that larger (6ft) tanks provide.
Wait until you upgrade to a six footer and you have a huge variety to choose from.
Thanks for asking.

Nihoa
01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
we went against the grain and put a kole tang in a 54g and wish i hadnt. koles are among the smallest and our tank was still on the small side for it. i wouldnt do it.