PDA

View Full Version : how to frag xenia?

burgerchow
01-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Anybody know how to frag xenia? I've got bunch of pulsing xenia growing all over a large rock.Looks beautiful, but getting to be too much. Need to thin them out. ( rock is about 8x10 ) Don't want to break up the rock.
If I use a razor and scrape off a stalk from the rock, will it survive? If I get it off in one piece, how could I attach it to a piece of rubble? Don't think my reef glue or putty will work with softies.

chandigz
01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Just peel it off the rock. start at an edge ad once you get it going it comes off pretty easily. Any piece will start a new colony even as small as an arm. It's just about impossible to kill. I usually tie it loosely onto a base(if you tie to tight the string will cut right thru). You can also push a piece of toothpick thru and use glue to attach each end of the toothpick to the new base. You can also put a small piece of rubble against the collony and once it attaches seperate it.

mark
01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Yep, just peel individual pieces off or even cut close to the base with a sharp pair of scissors.

To attached I used needle and thread, then tied to a pieces of LR rubble.

reefbyremote
01-09-2010, 08:24 PM
The easiest method I found was cut off a piece and set it on a small piece of rubble rock. Loosely wrap the rock with finer mesh material and hold this on the rock with a rubber band. The xenia was attached in 1-2 days after which you take off the mesh. I tried using just a rubber band but found this method that much more effective and easy.

Bloodasp
01-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Fragging this guys didn't even require much work for me. I was trying to make mine crawl from the frag plug into my rockwork, somehow one of my snails knocked the frag plug when it was only halfway into the rock and left the plug dangling and somehow I guess the xenia just decided to split itself. So now I have 3 the one in the plug, one in the rockwork and the third is in a piece of rubble that fell of with a blob of xenia flesh attached to it and has started forming heads.

whatcaneyedo
01-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Frag of the month - Propagation of Xenia sp.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/fotm/index.php