PDA

View Full Version : tank cycling.....?

possitive k
01-09-2010, 03:35 AM
my tank has only been set up for a week. already all levels at or near 0. is this normal? will it spike? should i just watch it for the next while before adding stuff?

thanks.
k

Gools
01-09-2010, 03:37 AM
what exactly is in your tank? Cured liverock will speed the cycling process.

edikpok
01-09-2010, 03:42 AM
i would wait at least a month to make sure that all parameters are fine! why take the risk of instabillity??? a weeek is too short in my opinion... how did you cycle it? did you provide a some food to generate ammonia? a damsel? LR?

Marlin65
01-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Yes it is totally possible but a tank that has cycled in a week is not balanced yet.
It is better to wait for a month or longer. Longer is aways better slow is good. Only bad things happen fast in this hobby.

Marlin65
01-09-2010, 03:55 AM
That or it has not started yet that is possible as well.:wink:

freezetyle
01-09-2010, 04:03 AM
did you provide a some food to generate ammonia? a damsel? LR?

defiantly add some food if you haven't already. best make sure that you have started the cycle instead of stocking your tank and then having the cycle wipe out all that you added

possitive k
01-09-2010, 04:17 AM
its a bio cube 29. 15lbs of cured live rock, live sand, stock lighting, skimmer.
should i maby start with a clean up crew? or a damsel? then keep checking levels over the next month?

thanks again for the input......

k

Marlin65
01-09-2010, 04:40 AM
Start with some mushrooms or polyps add fish later after a month.
Damsels are a pain just add fish later that you want and make sure to check their requirements first.

edikpok
01-09-2010, 07:28 AM
I would add a damsel and monitor amonia nitrate and nitrites... later you can catch the damsel or leave it in... I personally like my damsels....

Alternatively, put little pieces of food to strat the cycle... you HAVE to make sure that the cycle is complete....

As Marlin65 suggested, give it a month or so before stocking it....

I have a Biocube29 myself and I love it!!! harder to maintain thou than the bigger tanks...