PDA

View Full Version : I really want to add a picasso to my reef.

Marlin65
01-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I really want to try it I am thinking of getting a small one too try.
I know my peppermints will be food for sure not to sure if I will be able to get those out without taking my whole tank apart. I also have three clams but I can pull those if I have to.
I am just wondering if anyone has tried this before or if it is crazy for me to even think about this. What about SPS LPS aside from having them turned over will they eat those.
They are mainly listed as eating inverts so I am thinking my corals might be ok. Looking for some feed back from people that have tried this before.:wink:
Maybe I will have to be the first.:biggrin: That or get a crosshatch or pinktail.

md14
01-08-2010, 10:37 PM
I had one for quite some time until it outgrew the tank, didnt touch any of the corals did go for a snail or two. Didn't have any clams or sps so I can't comment on that aspect.

However.. he created so many sand storms which got annoying after awhile

my2rotties
01-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I had one for quite awhile, and sadly had to find him another home. He never touched corals, but as he very quickly grew, he started attacked other fish that swam past his "house". You would hear him chatter his teeth and the odd time he did get a fish. He ended up being very mean and I wanted a peaceful tank.

As someone else mentioned, Picassos dig A LOT. They will fill their mouths full of sand and go spit it out all over everything. I don't know why they can't just spit it out in the sand bed, but it seems they enjoy being artistic with how the disperse it.

They are very interactive fish and a lot of fun to have, despite their short comings.

my2rotties
01-09-2010, 01:37 AM
I had one for quite awhile, and sadly had to find him another home. He never touched corals, but as he very quickly grew, he started attacked other fish that swam past his "house". You would hear him chatter his teeth and the odd time he did get a fish. He ended up being very mean and I wanted a peaceful tank.

As someone else mentioned, Picassos dig A LOT. They will fill their mouths full of sand and go spit it out all over everything. I don't know why they can't just spit it out in the sand bed, but it seems they enjoy being artistic with how the disperse it. Mine also never touched shrimp.

They are very interactive fish and a lot of fun to have, despite their short comings.

Marlin65
01-09-2010, 04:25 AM
I don't have sand so he won't be doing any digging no snails or hermits either they are pretty useless in my opinion. My clams are my big concern.
The Picasso's are supposed to be more on the peaceful side of triggers. I had a undulated years ago and it was not as mean as people make it out to be. A Titan, Hart, or Queen might be a different story though. But Picasso's are supposed to be better you must of had a mean one or it did not feel that it had enough room. They need to have their own space or they will kill off others until they feel they have enough territory.

Marlin65
01-10-2010, 03:16 AM
K so maybe change of plans I picked up a Yellow Wrasse today that is bigger than I thought he is at least 3" long and as well as moving my true purks over almost full grown. I think I have room for one more and I know what I want just waiting back from the Island on that one. :biggrin:
If not then will keep looking for that special fish.:wink:

Skimmerking
01-10-2010, 03:29 AM
Hey Marlin what about a Blotchy anthia for your tank.

Marlin65
01-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Funny you should say that i saw a spotted one the other day and really want one of those now.