PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on bristleworms?????

mws
01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I got some cured live rock 12lbs of it (from someone on canreef)to add to my new tank when I do the transfer. I needed some rumble for canister filter, so I got the hammer and started to chip away.
Attached is my discovery. It was a small size rock.Every peace I chipped had tons of them.
As some looked like regular bristleworms, some not so much. The giant was
3-4 inch long(in four pieces on a photo), wouldn't this one be the one who eats snails and clams?
What do I do now? There is no way I put so many of them in my tank.
On a internet I had find rinsing the rock with carbonated water(soda pop) and it will make them come out.

rocco134
01-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I have never had any problems with mine. They usually only come out when i feed my fish and some time at night.

MrsBugmaster
01-08-2010, 08:02 PM
One way to remove some of them is to take a nylon stocking(panty hose), put a small piece of table shrimp or other bait in one, tie the open end off with a string long enough to hang out of the top of tank. Throw it the tank at night and in the morning it will be full of the bristle worms. They try to eat the bait and their bristles get caught in the nylon and they can not get out. Pull it out with the attached string and throw away. Keep doing this each night untill they are gone. Make sure you use a new panty hose, not used ones.

ScubaSteve
01-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Personally, I think bristle worms are largely misunderstood. Some people may disagree here but I truly believe that they are not predators but rather great scavengers. If it's eating a clam, it was probably already dead.

I have a monster in my tank... he's probably close to 7" or 8" when he stretches out. I think he's a pretty cool guy to have around and does his share of cleaning. He comes out even during the day when I feed and doesn't bother anyone.

I'd suggest culling your bistle worm herd you got there a bit but I wouldn't be worried if some are left.

Ian
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Both my tanks have tonnes of these, mt 90 gallon even has a bunch living in the overflow. So far i have had no issue at all with them being a problem so they get to stay...for now.

imcosmokramer
01-08-2010, 09:59 PM
I think they do a great job in cleaning up. I don't have any in my current tanks, but in my old tank, I had a bunch.

(they are a little creepy, but that's ok)
________
Striperella cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Striperella)

BC564
01-08-2010, 10:06 PM
I have quite a few in my tanks as well.....they are great at cleaning

mws
01-08-2010, 10:11 PM
From what you see on photos, are they regular bristleworms or they are fire worms? Are whose look like the ones what can eat corals or snails?

Zoaelite
01-08-2010, 10:34 PM
From what you see on photos, are they regular bristleworms or they are fire worms? Are whose look like the ones what can eat corals or snails?

Looks like mine, leave em be there part of a natural reef ecosystem. Just watch out when moving rock in the tank as they like to hide in dark areas.
Levi