PDA

View Full Version : From the Vancouver Aquarium Magazine

zulu_principle
09-20-2003, 02:53 AM
Just looking for some thoughts on "hot off the press" from the Vancouver Aquarium Magazine.

I take exception to some points but thought I would look for more input before I write a letter.

"Finding Nemo...the animated Dinsey Pixar movie, sparked a huge interest in orange and white percula clownfish. In the movie, a young clownfish named Nemo is taken from the sea and put into an aquarium - we've had lots of questions from visitors about keeping clownfish at home. However, the Aquarium does not recommend clownfish for first time fish buyers. Setting up a saltwater aquarium at home is a huge responsibility. For starters, its expensive, involving filters, lights, artificial coral and salt, plus the equilibrium of a saltwater enviornment is challenging to maintain."

Anyone else take exception to a few points in this statement ?

Samw
09-20-2003, 03:00 AM
Mmmm, looks accurate to me. :smile: Except for the part about artificial corals being expensive. It should say real coral frags are expensive instead. :lol:

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 03:14 AM
I gotta say I think that it's fairly on the money as well. You don't need artificial corals, but most beginners do add them. What exactly upsets you here?

Quinn
09-20-2003, 03:43 AM
Maybe Wendell thinks clownfish are a good beginner's fish? I guess that would depend on the type though. From what I understand the more common types are dandy (A. ocellaris, A. percula), whereas some of those oddball ones are tougher. A guy who works for ORA told me that the black A. polymnus I have have horrible track records adapting to captivity, but once past that they do great.

zulu_principle
09-20-2003, 03:57 AM
These are one of the first marine fish that were bred in captivity, since 1971 i think, Martin Moe.

Captive Raised to me means that they are a good first time fish.....why take fish from the wild.

Expensive......not my choice of words. For a fish only tank with two clown fish I dont think its expensive, compared to what ?

Filters............really, what filters would you have on your system, with just a couple of clowns.

Lights...........I have percs under flourscents, nothing else required, I guess they need lights, so do all fish. But sunlight would probably work.

Artificial Coral...........nothing further required.

Salt............duh

JMHO

Wendell

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 04:01 AM
I suspect that the Aquarium menat expensive to perhaps setting up goldfish on a whim for your kid. That's $10 compared to over $100 for a decent salt water clown home. I've only ever kept one clown, so I don't really know how easy or hard they are.
Maybe they weren't entirely accurate, but I don't see where any harm has been done. That's just me though, and I've been known to be wrong :razz:

Samw
09-20-2003, 04:10 AM
Expensive......not my choice of words. For a fish only tank with two clown fish I dont think its expensive, compared to what ?

However, the Aquarium does not recommend clownfish for first time fish buyers.

Setting up a tank for a clownfish is more expensive and difficult than setting up a tank for freshwater fish. I don't think I can disagree with that. A first time fish keeper is probably going to have an easier time with freshwater fish. That's all I get from the article.

zulu_principle
09-20-2003, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the input.

StirCrazy
09-20-2003, 05:04 AM
These are one of the first marine fish that were bred in captivity, since 1971 i think, Martin Moe.

Wendell

Do you think that just because a fish is bread in captivity it is a good beginer fish?

Steve

smokinreefer
09-20-2003, 05:19 AM
as info for an average aquarium patron...i see no problems with their statements.

for those of us with experience, we could easily pick apart some of their points.

but for those who have never kept fish, and think of it as a novelty, i think the statement is good way to weed those exact people out.

sure, it may steer some people out of the hobby, but the aquarium isnt in the business of selling fish and fish husbandry products. so they dont have anything to lose by making those statements.

if they had a vested interest in the promotion of fish keeping, then a statement like that would steer people (potential customers) away from trying to maintain an aquarium, then there would be a problem.

but from their stand point, i think they did a good job.

but again, that is only my humble opinion.

zulu_principle
09-20-2003, 05:49 AM
Yes I do think that a fish bred easily in captivity, more specifically percula clownfish, are good beginner fish for those entering the saltwater hobby.

The dynamics of a closed system enviornment from hatch to adult or juvy stage gives absolute advantages in the enviornment they are held.

Wendell

StirCrazy
09-20-2003, 05:53 AM
hmmm I have a problem with recomending agressive types of fish to beginners. but this in just my opinion about it, I do agree that they will survive a pinch better than wild ones.

Steve

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 05:54 AM
percs are agressive???

zulu_principle
09-20-2003, 05:56 AM
Percs are agressive ?

A pinch better............whats a pinch

Wendell

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 05:57 AM
A pinch better............whats a pinch

Little more than a bit?? Or was it a smidge?

StirCrazy
09-20-2003, 05:59 AM
Hmm... hang on I am thinking tomato clowns and that types. never mind, I tend to group all "clown fish" togeather.

Steve

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 06:00 AM
Hmm... hang on I am thinking tomato clowns and that types. never mind, I tend to group all "clown fish" togeather.

Steve

Well that was wrong of you, wasn't it? :razz:

smokinreefer
09-20-2003, 06:08 AM
stereotyping...shame on you :lol:

EmilyB
09-20-2003, 06:11 AM
Stir, I think you need a bit more hands on experience in this area... :razz: :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
09-20-2003, 06:30 AM
Stir, I think you need a bit more hands on experience in this area... :razz: :mrgreen:

My new tank will have a couple perc's

Steve

Aquattro
09-20-2003, 06:32 AM
My new tank will have a couple perc's

Steve

Careful, them's is nasty critters. Tear yer arm right off!!

LostMind
09-20-2003, 06:51 AM
doh, I am buying two next week! no one told me to count my limbs after putting them in the tank!

Mak
09-20-2003, 11:10 PM
duh.....nuh duh....nuh duh...nuh duh..nuh duh.nuh "Clownfish!!!! Everybody out of the water!" :rolleyes: :lol:

EmilyB
09-21-2003, 06:17 AM
If I was swimming and I saw a maroon clownfish the size of a shark, and a shark, I'd pick the shark in a minute...... :mrgreen:

Son Of Skyline
09-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Yeah those percs are a killer. They were on the Discovery Channel awhile ago. Drew blood from a diver's finger...funniest thing i ever saw :lol:

Who knows what a 6 foot version would do to yah!

Mak
09-21-2003, 06:40 AM
I'm more afraid of a 6' Damsel :redface: :evil: :lol: .