PDA

View Full Version : bio cube29..........

possitive k
01-08-2010, 02:34 AM
ok......so i was just wandering if there were any other options to the second chamber. besides the bio balls...... ive been reading that bio balls are not necessarily good.

thanks.
k

burrows14
01-08-2010, 02:40 AM
I used to just use live rock rubble and once in a while i would throw a bag of carbon in there. Your right tho get rid of those bioballs:biggrin:

possitive k
01-08-2010, 02:50 AM
nice.....i think ill do that. just pick up some small pieces of LR.

thanks.
k

Snaz
01-08-2010, 03:11 AM
LR rubble and a bag of Chemipure is great for that chamber. Some will argue LR rubble is a detritus/Nitrate trap but the two system that I manage look great and have very little nitrates.

burrows14
01-08-2010, 03:15 AM
I was warned about nitrate too but in 8 months of running my cube I never once ran into that problem. Another thing I would recommend is a small protein skimmer
LR rubble and a bag of Chemipure is great for that chamber. Some will argue LR rubble is a demetrius/Nitrate trap but the two system that I manage look great and have very little nitrates.

possitive k
01-08-2010, 03:52 AM
what about the bio cube skimmer.......good /bad..............any other suggestions on skimmers?

torrid_07
01-08-2010, 04:13 AM
instead of buying carbon, you can use the same filter tray that is in the first chamber. cut out the filter in it and buy carbon infused filter wool or floss
then throw some purigen in with the live rock in the seccond chamber and fill er up. i have the stock oceanic skimmer, and it actually pulls alot of skimate out. i find it works well for me.

burrows14
01-08-2010, 04:19 AM
what about the bio cube skimmer.......good /bad..............any other suggestions on skimmers?

I had one and it did a decent job. had to clean it out everyday cause of all the great smelling stuff it was pulling out of the water lol

possitive k
01-08-2010, 04:29 AM
where do you put the skimmer....chamber 1? thats where i have my heater......

Ian
01-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Heater in 1, live rock and any other media i need in 2 and skimmer in 3...seems to be working well for me

possitive k
01-08-2010, 04:47 AM
really.....skimmer in 3 eh..... i think im going to buy one tomorrow. wheres the best place........cheapest.

torrid_07
01-08-2010, 04:55 AM
well you have to think where am i going to skim the most (the first chamber)
i have mine in the first chamber with my heater. basically the skimmer is hooked onto the vertical filter tray and the heater is to the back right corner
works really well for me.

Nanoized
01-23-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't think LR is a good choice for any of the rear chambers.

I may be picking up a BC29 and this is what I'm looking at.

http://www.mediabaskets.com/Demo_Rack_with_Tunze.html

freezetyle
01-26-2010, 06:18 AM
I don't think LR is a good choice for any of the rear chambers.

I may be picking up a BC29 and this is what I'm looking at.

http://www.mediabaskets.com/Demo_Rack_with_Tunze.html

I have that. i really like the media basket. but the tunze (and the replacement cup that fits back there) left something to be desired. Hard to fine tune with the limited working space in the back. good craftsmanship on the pieces though. i don't think you would be disappointed with the basket.

Nanoized
01-26-2010, 10:33 AM
but the tunze (and the replacement cup that fits back there) left something to be desired. Hard to fine tune with the limited working space in the back..

It seems to be a love or hate with the tunze 9002.

The BC29 will be used(3months) and I may be removing the hood. If that's the case than I'll consider a HOB skimmer like the Delta 300.

Nice quality tanks though, I've had the BC14 running for 3.5 years now.

Regards