PDA

View Full Version : how to remove overflow and bulkheads?

c_scherer123
01-07-2010, 03:53 AM
Not sure if this goes here...

I have a 90g drilled tank, I wish to turn it into freshwater and get rid of the sump. It has a built in corner overflow and the bulkheads were firmly siliconed in. What is the best way to remove them? Any tricks or tips?

I considered exchanging it for non-drilled, but it is too heavy to carry up the steps; it must weigh at least 250-300lbs...

lastlight
01-07-2010, 04:00 AM
I've used a drill to drill a series of holes in a line perpendicular to the bulkhead's opening. This sorta splits the fitting in half and you can start wiggling and cutting bits out. A lot of work!

Dez
01-07-2010, 04:14 AM
I used razor blads and guitar string to remove my overflow.... a lot of work.

Skimmerking
01-07-2010, 04:24 AM
that is very easy to do , the bulkheads are easy to do unscrew them and taks a hammer to the bottom of them to loosen the bulkhead. and why not keep the over flow there to put your heaters in and have3 a powerhead with some fittings on there use some 1/2' pvc and when you getto the top of the over flow use a 90 and a 90 glue them and put another 90 on there and you have a instant circulation flow going and the water in the over flow is getting heated.

and u hide your heaters in there and put stuff like carbon in a bag there too.....

lastlight
01-07-2010, 04:33 AM

You did or your kids did Dez? I seem to recall a few helping hands in there :biggrin:

Dez
01-07-2010, 05:14 AM
You did or your kids did Dez? I seem to recall a few helping hands in there :biggrin:

It was me, the razor blades were too dangerous for 3 & 4 year old :wink: I had to do the grunt work there. But I made them slave on the other parts of the build :mrgreen:

c_scherer123
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
that is very easy to do , the bulkheads are easy to do unscrew them and taks a hammer to the bottom of them to loosen the bulkhead. and why not keep the over flow there to put your heaters in and have3 a powerhead with some fittings on there use some 1/2' pvc and when you getto the top of the over flow use a 90 and a 90 glue them and put another 90 on there and you have a instant circulation flow going and the water in the over flow is getting heated.

and u hide your heaters in there and put stuff like carbon in a bag there too.....

Tempting, but the overflow is large. It had a drain, an emergency drain, and room for one more if needed.

I am not worried about heaters showing as the plants cloak them, and carbon goes inside the canister. If it were smaller I would leave it.

c_scherer123
01-09-2010, 12:25 AM
that is very easy to do , the bulkheads are easy to do unscrew them and taks a hammer to the bottom of them to loosen the bulkhead.

It was pretty easy. I didn't need the hammer though, just wrestled it around until it loosened.

Understatement of the year... I found using razor blades and then using a pvc pipe as leverage was easiest. Used the pvc to widen the gap, all while sticking pencils as "shimmies" and constantly used a razor blade (from hobby knife set) to free it.

Thanks!