PDA

View Full Version : iPhone + Controller + Reef. What Works?

PoonTang
01-06-2010, 04:49 AM
I may be looking for a controller in the future but dont know which one to get. I want something for lights, temp, pH, dosing, alarms etc. I would also like the ability to check on all of the parameters with an iPhone. Email alarms would be nice too. I will also be setting up a webcam on the tank at some point. Is anyone currently doing this on their tank? What would you suggest?

slakker
01-06-2010, 04:58 AM
I use a Neptune III. I can check status, get email alarms and control anything hooked up to it (Pumps, temp, CO2, etc.).

I can't get graphs on my iPhone or BlackBerry because it's Java Based...

Came in handy once when I was in Seattle for a few days and one of the lights blew and the ballast was humming driving my wife nuts. I logged on and turned it off and fixed it when I came home...:mrgreen:

PoonTang
01-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Does it hook up to your PC through your wireless connection?

pterfloth
01-06-2010, 06:10 AM
I have my Neptune AC3 hooked up to my router via an Ethernet cable. I know it can be done wirelessly to your PC with a separate router. There is an iPhone app, Aquanotes, that is free that gives you complete control of the controller wirelessly either through wifi or 3G. You can check pH, temp and ORP and the status of all devices plugged in. You can turn devices on and off and also edit the programming remotely. It will also display graphs of temperature, pH and ORP for the day, week and month. The same app also works for the new Neptune Apex controller.

I travel a lot and this combination has given great peace of mind while away, saved my tank several times and is a great relief for my girlfriend. I highly recommend it.

Check the Neptunesys.com site for details and info.

sphelps
01-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I believe the Profilux III is web based which means that any phone with internet access should be able to access everything. I believe there is also a web based app for it. Still fairly new and likely still working on some development but soon enough it will likely be far superior to other options.

PoonTang
01-06-2010, 09:56 PM
I have my Neptune AC3 hooked up to my router via an Ethernet cable. I know it can be done wirelessly to your PC with a separate router. There is an iPhone app, Aquanotes, that is free that gives you complete control of the controller wirelessly either through wifi or 3G. You can check pH, temp and ORP and the status of all devices plugged in. You can turn devices on and off and also edit the programming remotely. It will also display graphs of temperature, pH and ORP for the day, week and month. The same app also works for the new Neptune Apex controller.

I travel a lot and this combination has given great peace of mind while away, saved my tank several times and is a great relief for my girlfriend. I highly recommend it.

Check the Neptunesys.com site for details and info.
Ahh I had heard that you had a system that worked but didnt know what you had, thanks for the info.

I believe the Profilux III is web based which means that any phone with internet access should be able to access everything. I believe there is also a web based app for it. Still fairly new and likely still working on some development but soon enough it will likely be far superior to other options.
Yes I think your right but they are soooo expensive and have alot of features that I dont think I would really use.

Does anyone have any experience with the Digital Aquatics ones?

michika
01-06-2010, 11:35 PM
The RKE? Yup, I have it, and love it. I can also receive e-mail alerts.

From iReef, the RKE App program (not developed by D.A. themselves though)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/c7120eb5.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/bfcb5b82.jpg

Graphs (I can access them from a computer, or on my phone)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/Temp_5min_11-12-09.jpg

Screen Cap of the Online NET module (which gives you online access)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b286/michika/rke-net.jpg

banditpowdercoat
01-06-2010, 11:42 PM
And how much a month does that cost LOL

michika
01-06-2010, 11:53 PM
$0!

After I bought the NET module (which is now included with the RKE I believe), all I had to find was a cable to connect the NET module to our router and voila, peace of mind on your phone!

PoonTang
01-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Catherine
Is this the one that wont send e-mails that use SSL? Also are you able to hook the net module up to your computer wirelessly? My tank is upstairs and my computer and router are in the basement.

rkelman
01-16-2010, 12:24 PM
You can't change anything with a RKE via net though. Its a feature they have been promising for a long time but still nothing. I have a Neptune Apex on order. You can control from the net via phone / computer. Both the Apex and RKE are great systems and I don't think you would be disappointed with either one. They are very close in features. I chose the Apex because of the net access / being able to rename outlets / hearing complaints about customer service and issues with things not being released as promised from DA. I think the customer service complaints may be exaggerated IMO.

michika
01-16-2010, 02:49 PM
I got the email thing fixed. Well Kevin fixed it, and I'm just using it. He said it was one of those simple things were you're staring right at the problem and completely miss it.

Kryptic4L
01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
$0!

After I bought the NET module (which is now included with the RKE I believe), all I had to find was a cable to connect the NET module to our router and voila, peace of mind on your phone!

those cat 5 cables are hard to come by :lol:

I also run the RKE, the only thing that ****es me off about them, is they are slower then hell doing everything they promised right before it was first released. and they seem to go out of stock on alot of items quickly, i.e the salinity probe.

robert
01-16-2010, 07:57 PM
I have Neptune Apex Aquacontroller, Apple Airport Extreme combo. Airport is a miniature wireless router that plugs directly into power outlet and I use it to make Apex controller wireless. Apex can be fully programmed via web browser, so any mobile device equipped with web browser should be able to controll the aquacontroller. However, there is a native iPhone application available for status monitoring and basic control of your controller. I also looked at RKA and decided to go with Apex, just because the NET module is built right into the unit, no extra box needed to make the controller network ready.

Let me know if you would like to know more.

PoonTang
01-17-2010, 02:16 AM
I think I am starting to lean towards the apex just for the net features.

doch
01-19-2010, 01:01 AM
You know, I stumbled on this post this morning, and thought to myself "That's #$%@ing rediculous, these guys are geeking up fish tanks". I started to think about it, realized how much time I spend out of town, and how many problems I had with my last tank while out of town, and have decided something... you guys just cost me a lot of money. Damn. LMAO I can't wait to have it all set up... my 'tank stress' while out of town will go down exponentially.

Thanks... I think.

rkelman
01-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Lol I'm getting mine this weekend. My tank should be fully geeked by the end of the weekend. :)

PoonTang
01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
You know, I stumbled on this post this morning, and thought to myself "That's #$%@ing rediculous, these guys are geeking up fish tanks". I started to think about it, realized how much time I spend out of town, and how many problems I had with my last tank while out of town, and have decided something... you guys just cost me a lot of money. Damn. LMAO I can't wait to have it all set up... my 'tank stress' while out of town will go down exponentially.

Thanks... I think.

wish I had one last summer, a $500 controller would have saved the loss of $3000 worth of livestock.

Newbies
01-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Just following your thread here and am curious how much would an Apex controller with probes and all cost to get up and running. Im doing a 245g and think this would be an awsome safty net to have.
________
penny stocks to watch (http://pennystockpicks.net/)

whatcaneyedo
01-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Just following your thread here and am curious how much would an Apex controller with probes and all cost to get up and running. Im doing a 245g and think this would be an awsome safty net to have.

About $600 plus tax I think. $550 for the basic controller package (8 controllable outlets on the power bar), $30 for a pH probe and +/- $20 for an Ethernet cable to plug into your homes internet router.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/np-33/Neptune+Systems+Apex+Controller+Package.html

Other than that I dont really have anything new to add to the discussion aside from I also have an ACIII which is presently controllable over the internet. I get a text message and an email message (so does my tank sitter) if anything is wrong while I'm away from home. Its not quite as good as being there to deal with a problem yourself but its the next best thing.

doch
01-20-2010, 02:13 AM
So call this a stupid question, but what does the controller output to for control of ph and salinity? Can you have an ATO hooked up too? What about an auto feeder? I'm officially a geek! I spent a good chunk of my down time at work today planning this out in my head. LOL!

whatcaneyedo
01-20-2010, 02:47 AM
You mean do? My ACIII has two pH probes plugged into it, one for the general aquarium water and the other for the inside of the calcium reactor.

If the pH in the reactor goes below 6.5 the controller shuts off the flow of CO2, if it goes above 6.6 the controller turns the CO2 flow back on.

If the tanks pH drops below 7.7 the controller shuts of the flow of CO2 to the reactor, sounds an alarm and sends me a text plus email warning. If the tanks pH goes above 8.3 the controller shuts off my ATO system (which adds water through a kalk reactor). The idea is that something must be wrong and the ATO is pumping too much kalk water into the tank causing a pH spike. While a pH of 8.3 isnt bad, its highly unlikely for my tank which usually runs between 7.8 and 8.1 depending on the buildup of CO2 in the house.

A person could easily have a controller automate their ATO system by using a small pump and a water level switch. However I already own a Tunze system so I just use it plugged into my controller for extra protection.