PDA

View Full Version : Mixing wrasses

blueyota
01-05-2010, 05:58 AM
Im really starting to take a liking to wrasses and i wanted to know if there were any that dont get along well with other wrasses....if one is more prone to jump then the next
Thanks

blueyota
01-05-2010, 06:04 AM
forgot to mention i have a cleaner and a solon fairy in there now :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2010, 08:19 AM
My blue-sided fairy wrasse has killed or chased out of the tank several other wrasses. My large yellow Canary wrasse is the only one that he plays nice with.

staceyd72
01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Shawn,

I have a Solon(Cirrhilabrus solorensis) as well, he was one of my first wrasse(7 years). My Solon used to be the boss of all the wrasse especially any other Cirrhilabrus that has a similar body; but over the past year it has settled down quite a lot and does not bother with any new additions. My Blue Streak (Labroides dimidiatus) cleaner will pick on every fish in the tank and is notorious for chasing any new wrasse, especially the smaller ones. New additions will no doubt get picked on for the first few days.

I have found that most are peaceful inhabitants and only quarrel after a feeding when the flashers seem to flash at the same time. The most aggressive is my Naoko when flashing, and will force others to jump.

It’s unpredictable as to which fish may jump, so it’s in their best interest to keep a cover. I have 15 different wrasse and all of them have at one time ended up in my overflow.
My only experience is with the reef save wrasse, however, I did have a Formosa (Coris formosa) a long time ago and it’s not one you would want in a reef tank.

HTH

Snappy
01-05-2010, 04:02 PM
I personally believe the tank size has a lot to do with them fighting and jumping. They need room to flee if threatened and the best option is for them to have space to swim out of harms way horizontally and not vertically because they often can't stop when they reach the surface. I have 9 wrasses in my tank and they all get along fine but they have also ample room. These include a yellow coris, radiant, mystery, leopard, pencil, solar, 6 line, etc.
Some like the 6 line for example don't play nice with others that have the same body shape so try to mix them up a bit.

Skimmerking
01-05-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree with Snappy on this on, in my 75 gal i had a Leopard, yellow and a SIx line the 6 line was a ass who chased them both and picked on. the fairy, leopard and yellow are great choices to put together.

blueyota
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Great!!! Thanks for the replys I will try to keep there body shapes and colors from being to similar

blueyota
01-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Yea im not a big fan of the sixline ...every one i see in someone elses tank is the prick :twised:

wickedfrags
01-05-2010, 06:22 PM
While I have enjoyed wrasses for many years I no longer collect them, at least not the expensive ones anyway as I have found many do not survive long term.

Despite my tank being completely covered, many have still found a way out or, or have simmply disappeared (specially the deep-water wrasses). Take this into considereation before you consider the more expensive/collectible wrasses.

Zoaelite
01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I have 2 yellow corris and a fairy in a 165g and they get along just fine.
Levi

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
I personally believe the tank size has a lot to do with them fighting and jumping. They need room to flee if threatened and the best option it for them to have space to swim out of harms way horizontally and not vertically because they often can't stop when they reach the surface.

In principle, I agree, but my Blue sided Fairy lives in a 210g 6' x 2' x 29" tall reef tank with lots of hiding places & it still chases other wrasses (besides the Canary) relentlessly out of the tank.

Sometimes you just end up with a b@st@rd fish

ponokareefer
01-05-2010, 09:03 PM
My dusky wrasse picks on my whip fin a lot, along with my clownfish for some reason. So my experience hasn't been so great. My new little trigger has put him in his a place a few times though.

my2rotties
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Just don't add a Banana wrasse to your tank. Mine is quite unpredictable at times. He will be fine with something forever and then just suddenly kill. He is a hunter of the tank, and reminds me of a Mako shark. Beautiful fish though, I would not part with him for anything.

Ryan
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
How are fairy wrasses? I recently purchased a McCosker and want to add 3 or 4 more in a 75G. Was also thinking of adding a trio of Blue Flashers.

I had this McCosker in a tank with the Blue FLasher at work and they were fine for days, then I bought the McCosker. Maybe it was just these 2 fish I am not sure.

If a 75 wont work for the 2 species or even for the small group of McCoskers what would be the recomended size? 150G?

edikpok
01-17-2010, 07:02 AM
I found that if you add several wrasses at the same time while they are still small, they grow to tolerate each other.... but don't add more later. Yellow coris ar quite peaceful too...

justinl
01-17-2010, 07:13 PM
There's a few things you can do to reduce the chance of carpet surfing. stick with peaceful species like most Halichoeres; research compatability of fairy wrasses if you add more (they can be jerks to each other depending on colour); stay away from genus Thalasoma. Give them space in a big tank.

In the end though, ALL wrasses are prone to jumping. maybe not now or for several years, but the statistics work against you if you don't have a canopy or tank lid. imo, no wrasse tank should ever be without some kind of protection against carpet surfing.

my2rotties
01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
I second this, my Banana wrasse would kill anything that looks like him easily. He still gets in a rage over fish he lives with and chases them into the rock work for no apparent reason at all. I have seen him bite other fish and he tears off chunks. If he sees something in the rock work, he will bite off chunks of rocks to get at it... pretty nasty predator.

I love him though, even though he is a wrassehole.

stay away from genus Thalasoma. Give them space in a big tank.

Snappy
01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
In principle, I agree, but my Blue sided Fairy lives in a 210g 6' x 2' x 29" tall reef tank with lots of hiding places & it still chases other wrasses (besides the Canary) relentlessly out of the tank.

Sometimes you just end up with a b@st@rd fish
Agreed many fish are hit & miss and some are just plain bad. Wrasses are no exception to this rule. I do think it is important to have plenty of swimming room and not just at the top. In my tank I have a lot of space for the wrasses to swim in the lower regions. In my experience the wrasses that like to hang near the top area of the tank are the most likely jumpers. In the year I've had my 400 going I have had only one wrasse jump and it was a flasher who always hung out in open water in the top 1/3 of the tank.

kien
01-18-2010, 12:18 AM
I have a fairy wrasse, leopard wrasse and a six line wrasse. They all get along fine and don't bother anyone. Sometimes they travel In a pack and hunt down pods and bugs together. The fairy is a bit skitish and will dart if there is sudden movement in the room but he's starting to get over that now.

Nihoa
01-18-2010, 10:54 PM
i tried to add a blue flasher wrasse into a 54g with a twinspot hogfish in it. twinspot killed it good. thinking that the issue was that the blue flasher was quite tiny and didnt stand a chance i added a large mystery wrasse. not many hours later the mystery wrasse was lying on his side, no fins, blood coming out its mouth. the twinspot went to another tank and thankfully the mystery healed up 100%.