PDA

View Full Version : 150w Metal Halide Clamp On

Popeye
01-05-2010, 05:28 AM
I have a 150w metal halide clamp on light, My question is do you think its safe to use over my 75 gallon sump under the stand?.

Jason McK
01-05-2010, 06:27 AM
Why would you want to. If you are thinking of a refugium I would use a light that generates far less heat.

But I have seen a lot of people put sections of there sumps for Fags and use MH Lighting under there stand. I believe it was Chilliwackreefer that did it and cprowler.

Fishward
01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
i believe you will get vastly different answers if you ask a reefer vs if you ask a firefighter. I personally wouldn't do it as the MH lamps get extremely hot. Particularily a clamp-on stlye with (no fan?) i assume?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Just get a clamp on desk light with a 27w Phillips Daylight CFL bulb. That would be much cooler & cheaper to run, with good macrogrowing results.

Anthony

freezetyle
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Just get a clamp on desk light with a 27w Phillips Daylight CFL bulb. That would be much cooler & cheaper to run, with good macrogrowing results.

Anthony

agreed. i think the set-up that i did like that cost me maybe $12 for the fixture and maybe $10 for two 6500k cfl bulbs. compaired to the clip-on light which you may find for $100 used plus bulbs

Popeye
01-06-2010, 05:42 AM
Thanks Guys, Yeah I have a clip on light already but i probably need to change the cfl bulb as the chaeto does not seem to be growing in my sump. I just have the halide clip on kicking around and thought maybe i could use it.