PDA

View Full Version : New to RO/DI water use

salty210
01-05-2010, 04:12 AM
I have a 210 gal FOWLR that has been running for over a year now. I finaly got tired of the all day water change. You know 8 hours making water with one of those tap water filters and a 40 gallon big brute trash bin.
I am lucky enough to have a spot, somewhat close to water, a drain, and the tank, that I could build a water prep area. And with a flick of a switch, my water change is done. Well, its not quite that easy ,but it has saved me hours of watching water flow, and the occasional wet floor.
So what I need to know, are there any additives I should be adding to my new ro/di water?
I use IO salt and I know that it is a little low in ca and mg, probably why I'm not getting good coraline growth. I,d like to pay more attention to those levels also. What should I use? Liquid or a powder buffer and what kind.
Thanks.

mark
01-05-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm using bulk Ca (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26591&highlight=calcium) and Mg (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26590&highlight=calcium) from littlesilvermax to supplement my IO.

hillegom
01-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Both BRS and Littlesilvermax sell bulk powdered ca and mg. They are sponsers here
Otherwise , a calcium reactor with a bottle of CO2

mark
01-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Found trying to use a reactor to bring up levels was just spiking the alk. Once I clued in to supplement the ca/mg first, then maintain with a reactor things settled down.

FOWLR, I'd probably skip the cost of a reactor as will find things fairly steady with water changes only and can always tweak with a bit of the bulk chemicals if needed.

rocco134
01-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I am also new to RO/DI use. I just got my unit today. I have a quick question. Sorry to leach of your leach of your post salty.

Is the efficiency of the unit (waste: product) temperature sensitive (i.e higher water temp = less waste)? my unit is rated at 50gpd but i know that is based on ideal conditions (60psi and 77'F).

Myka
01-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Rocco, the efficiency of the system won't be effected by the inline temperature, but the GPD rating will be.

Salty, what's the reasoning behind supplementing on a FOWLR? Just coralline growth or other reasons as well?

rocco134
01-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Thanks Myka... thats what i meant:biggrin:

so hoe does temp actually affect gpd

Myka
01-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Not sure, but it does! :D

salty210
01-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Hi Myka, I am getting ready to switch to a reef tank, so I would like to know a little more about calcium and other supplements I will be needing.

BWI
01-07-2010, 02:06 AM
I am also new to RO/DI use. I just got my unit today. I have a quick question. Sorry to leach of your leach of your post salty.

Is the efficiency of the unit (waste: product) temperature sensitive (i.e higher water temp = less waste)? my unit is rated at 50gpd but i know that is based on ideal conditions (60psi and 77'F).

there is a easy way to improve efficiency, u can add a another membrane and produce double what your making and still use the original waste water amount. understand?

as for adding chems, i am using the GHL profilux doser with the balling salts. I have no problem with calcium its just keeping up with mag, and alk..

Myka
01-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Ah I see. Well first things first you will have to weed out all the fish that aren't reef-safe. ;)

Some test kits are in order. For calcium and alkalinity I would suggest API or Elos (or get your Salifert's calibrated against more accurate kits as they seem to be fairly unreliable). For magnesium I have found my Salifert to be trusty and easy to use.

If the coral load is low, once you dose the tank to the appropriate level, and pre-dose your water change water to appropriate levels you should be able to keep up to demand simply by doing weekly 10-25% water changes.

For supplements, I have always found that aquarium designed products produce better results (that often only experienced reefers may notice, so maybe not too important for more novice keepers). However, your tank is a significant size and it can get pricey to dose. As far as aquarium designed products go I have used many products and have found Fauna Marin Calcium chloride hydro-somethingorother to be my favourite calcium supplement on the market right now. I haven't tried their alkalinity supplement yet, but i am looking forward to it. :D For alkalinity I have been using SeaChem, and it works well. I prefer the Reef Buffer 8.3 to the Reef Builder product as the former mixes easier and helps keep pH over 8.0.

For magnesium I am using littlesilvermax's premixed ratio. I do like it, but I am going to try Fauna Marin's magnesium product when it runs out. I am so impressed with their calcium product I am going to switch all of my "big three" over to their products.

However, for just getting started I really see no reason to not use littlesilvermax's products for all of the "big three". Many seasoned reefers on here use his products exclusively. They are cheap, and they work.

rocco134
01-07-2010, 02:09 AM
good info guys.... thanks!!!

so.. the unit i bought was the Aqua fx 4 stage barracuda. it claims to be 50gpd but i filled a 5 gallon jug in less that an hour. is this common for a new unit or is something wrong?

rocco134
01-07-2010, 02:22 AM
ok... promise not to laugh?!?!

i had the drain line (waste water) in my bucket and the product line in the drain.. Whoops :redface:

its going a lot slower now...

mark
01-07-2010, 03:00 AM

couple of links (here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48193)and here (http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56138)) that show the roll off in output with cold water and reduced pressure below the ratings as well as something on rejection rates.

rocco134
01-07-2010, 03:09 AM
awesome! thanks Mark!!

there was mention of adding a piggyback membrane to improve your gpd. for future reference, do you know where i can pick one up?

also, if i were to change the membrane size to a 150gpd (i noticed from the links that were provided that some 150gpd membranes have a very good rejection rate) would i have to do anything special to the unit itself?

Myka
01-07-2010, 04:27 AM
also, if i were to change the membrane size to a 150gpd (i noticed from the links that were provided that some 150gpd membranes have a very good rejection rate) would i have to do anything special to the unit itself?

I have the exact same AquaFX Barracuda as you do. I bought a Flush Kit for my system too. I flush it for about 5 minutes after every use. It's a great little system. Mine is also 50 GPD. I found it great when I had a smaller tank, but for my 90 gallon I am looking at upgrading. After 2 years (or has it been 3?) my 50 GPD RO membrane is finally starting to get used up, so I will replace it with a 150 GPD membrane. Upgrading is simple, buy the 150 GPD membrane with the 98% rejection rate, and buy a 150 GPD flow restrictor. You will find the flow restrictor on the good water line. If you pull the line off it will be stuffed in the end of the tubing. So, just make sure the rating of the flow restrictor and the membrane match and you're good to go! :D

rocco134
01-07-2010, 04:50 AM
thanks myka!!

i am wondering if i should do the upgrade now. i have a 120 gallon tank.

where do you get your replacement cartridges?

Myka
01-07-2010, 04:54 AM
In the past I have bought from Bulk Reef Supply, but I am going to order my next set from Kelly at The Reef Shoppe as his prices are very competitive.

rocco134
01-07-2010, 04:58 AM
thanks again myka!!

i will have to check them out...

you mentioned that the restrictor should go on the good water line but http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/Changing-the-flow-restrictor-on-your-membrane says to put it on the waste water line. are the barracudas set up differently?

and one last question... what do you store your water in? do you make up a bunch of ro water? i was thinking about buying a large plastic garbage can and storing the water in there.

hillegom
01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
The flow restrictor will be in the line that goes to your drain, the discarded water.

BWI
01-08-2010, 12:39 AM
we carry all the parts needed for the add-on and piggy back system also all your replacement filters.

BWI
01-08-2010, 12:41 AM
thanks again myka!!

and one last question... what do you store your water in? do you make up a bunch of ro water? i was thinking about buying a large plastic garbage can and storing the water in there.

keep your eye on our site because we will be having a huge container sale very soon. The most recent sale we sold out in minutes, so keep an eye on the site.

rocco134
01-08-2010, 04:15 AM
thanks for the heads up bwi

Chase31
01-08-2010, 09:55 PM
if i were to purchase some water from a sobys or save-on or whatever i should still use my water conditioning additives correct??

Coleus
01-29-2010, 10:16 PM
In the past I have bought from Bulk Reef Supply, but I am going to order my next set from Kelly at The Reef Shoppe as his prices are very competitive.

Myka,

I check her site out but can't find any filter or Membrane for Aqua FX. Can i just buy any generic filter and will fit?

Thanks