PDA

View Full Version : what to look for when buying a skimmer?

Fishward
01-05-2010, 02:03 AM
Hey all,
im going to be upgrading from a 30Gal to a 65 fairly soon here and im curious what to look for when buying a skimmer? what features are a must have? should i oversize? size it for the actual tank volume? and brands to keep an eye out for? positive or neg i suppose (maybe through PM?) and tips would be appreciated.

parkinsn
01-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Are you going to be running a sump? What volume? In sump skimmer or HOB? What do you figure your "true" water volume will be? Here is a pretty good calc for figuring that out.

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

I would keep an eye out for a Euro reef 80 or 135, or a vertex. BK if you have the $$$

Fishward
01-05-2010, 02:14 AM
Are you going to be running a sump? What volume? In sump skimmer or HOB? What do you figure your "true" water volume will be? Here is a pretty good calc for figuring that out.

http://reef.diesyst.com/volcalc/volcalc.html

I would keep an eye out for a Euro reef 80 or 135, or a vertex. BK if you have the $$$

the tank will be 65 Gal, with a 20 or 30 gal sump. accounting for rock space and all i figure the total water volume will be in a 70 Gal range? maybe? i would like an ''īn sump'' skimmer. that number represent the number of gal. its designed for?

parkinsn
01-05-2010, 02:17 AM
Ya the # represents gallons on a medium bio load I believe. I would go more than what your going to be running but not so much that you will be over skimming.

Fishward
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Ya the # represents gallons on a medium bio load I believe. I would go more than what your going to be running but not so much that you will be over skimming.

how exactly does one know if you are 'over skimming'? arent there adjustment nobs on most skimmers?

ReefJunkie
01-05-2010, 02:50 AM
I have a 65 with a 20 sump and im running a bubble magus bm100 (rated for 100-150 gallons). I figured go bigger because I know I'm gonna upgrade eventually. I dont see any harm in 'over skimming' if thats possible.

Blakes Living Reef.ca
01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Take approx. 23% away from manufactures skimmer ratings (no matter the brand) to get a real world value. I have my personal favourite which I can not say here since I'am not a sponser.