PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question about water

ickmagnet
01-05-2010, 01:54 AM
I just bought a RO/DI kit and have noticed how slow they are to fill up buckets. I was hoping to store water in a large reservoir in one go and use it over a period of2-3 weeks. Is this ok? Will the water go "stale" ?

hillegom
01-05-2010, 01:57 AM
the " large reservoir" should be made of food grade plastic, then you are good to go

banditpowdercoat
01-05-2010, 03:48 AM
I, and alot of other reefers use Rubbermad Brute garbage can's. I have one for Saltwater, one for RO. there about 20g. Water doesn't go stale. keep lid on it, to keep out any foregn material and all is good. Wipe and rinse every once in a while, it will get a little slime buildup after a while

untamed
01-05-2010, 04:35 AM
The water won't go bad....but...if you keep a store of water around all the time you can easily start to breed mosquitoes indoors. (not fun)

Yes, this is from personal experience.
No, I have no idea what they might have been able to find for food in my RO water.

Any kind of lid will stop that from happening.

banditpowdercoat
01-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Weird. I've kept my bucket more than 1/3 full all summer. Must be that I keep a lid on it. Wonder if skeeters are good marine protein?

lastlight
01-05-2010, 05:37 AM
I think it would be awesome to have a very large drum or something...like 300g and just fill it and then draw from there as needed. No need to worry about TDS creep with on/off operation of ro/di...just fill and use until gone.

fkshiu
01-05-2010, 05:48 AM
It's important to keep the water covered and in the dark. Light really helps to breed bacteria. Like untamed said, be careful about leaving too much standing water sitting around for too long because some form of life will eventually take hold.

Funky_Fish14
01-05-2010, 07:13 AM
I store 100g of R/O water at a time. The longest it gets to sit for though without use is about 5-6 days. I have 0 growth of anything in my bins (40+60g).

I use a polyethelyne bin from a plastics company. Big white thick-walled plastic bins. Hit'em with a hammer full of water or not and they wont break. I've had 2 of 4 rubbermade trash cans leak (although slowly) without even being stressed.

Cheers,

Chris

viperfish
01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I picked up a rain barrell from Crappy Tire. It holds 80 Gallons and even has a drain valve on the bottom.

Reefer Rob
01-05-2010, 05:44 PM
I got my poly tank reservoir at Twin Maples (http://www.tmitanks.com/) in Abbotsford.

Keep it food grade. There's enough that can go wrong with this hobby without having to worry about toxins leaching from plastic.