PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing... Need help

ZachAttack
01-04-2010, 10:56 PM
OK, I'm getting a new tank and adding a sump. I have a pump that is only 1/2" output so I am going to put an adapter on it to go up to 1", giving me more volume and less likely hood of obstruction. I need a Male - male threaded piece, one part goes into the pump and the other threads into the adapter for 1" pvc. However, I can only find the male-male adapter in brass or poly ethylene... Are either of these reef safe?? If not any suggestions on how to change my plumbing from 1/2 to 1"???? :question:

untamed
01-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Definite NO on the brass.

You should be able to find the PVC piece you need at Corix Water Products. They are located on Golden Dr. in Coquitlam (just off United Blvd). They have everything there.

Binare
01-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Why not just leave it 1/2"? Its never caused me any problems. If your pumps suckin up something big enough to clog it... You got other issues to fix.

shrimpchips
01-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Unless it calls for 1" pipe, you should probably leave it at 1/2" - if you take it up to 1", then your headloss is going to be even greater as there's much more water that the pump has to push up against, so you will get less flow.

BWI
01-05-2010, 01:16 AM
i would use 3/4" thats fine.. if you still need the adapters email or call us.

Fishward
01-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Unless it calls for 1" pipe, you should probably leave it at 1/2" - if you take it up to 1", then your headloss is going to be even greater as there's much more water that the pump has to push up against, so you will get less flow.

+1. i wouldn't change the diam. of your pump output. bigger pipes are only really beneficial for drains.

mark
01-05-2010, 04:41 AM
It's not like if you go bigger, the pump will pump less. It's just that the amount will flatten out so after a few sizes it's not worthwhile going bigger.

Again, Brass=copper (very bad)

golf nut
01-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Actually this isn't true even if you increased to 3' Diameter pipe you would still have the same flow believe it or not it is fact.

banditpowdercoat
01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Actually this isn't true even if you increased to 3' Diameter pipe you would still have the same flow believe it or not it is fact.
And same head pressure for the same height. head pressure is a combination of friction loss from length of pipe, and the height the water has to travel. A larger pipe will have less friction loss for a given flow. But that may not make a difference, depending on how much your allready flowing

shrimpchips
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM

And same head pressure for the same height. head pressure is a combination of friction loss from length of pipe, and the height the water has to travel. A larger pipe will have less friction loss for a given flow. But that may not make a difference, depending on how much your allready flowing

Oops, I mixed up flow and velocity :redface: And to think I studied blood vessels. . .

sphelps
01-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Bigger diameter pretty much means more flow in almost any circumstance so bigger is usually always better.

1" sounds pretty good for that size pump, you should be able to find a 1" x 1/2" PVC bushing at most hardware stores, pretty common part but any plastic will work fine. Avoid brass as already stated as it's simply a copper and zinc alloy; copper is poisonous to coral.

possitive k
01-06-2010, 07:50 AM
pvc sch 40 is what you need, corix is the best place for this. however like said before , increasing pipe size is not necessary. increasing pipe size will give you the same volume at a lower psi, make sure you install a check valve. your volume will be determined by your pump.

mark
01-06-2010, 12:40 PM
put some thought in your return layout and sump size to see if you can avoid using a check valve

salty210
01-06-2010, 06:53 PM
I would just go with the 1/2" return, your not gaining anything going bigger pump will only pump what it can.

sphelps
01-06-2010, 07:22 PM
I would just go with the 1/2" return, your not gaining anything going bigger pump will only pump what it can.
This is a completely false statement. Pumps will often have smaller intakes and outputs to reduce cavitation and other pressure differential effects but this is independent on the requirements for the pipe network. As stated the larger the diameter of the pipe the less friction. Less friction means more flow. Pipe friction is a major contribution to head loss and you can easily double your flow rate by using 1" pipe over 1/2" pipe.

Also +1 on not using a check valve.