PDA

View Full Version : Calcium Chloride for dosing

Palmer
01-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I noticed a number of people use the Holmes-Farley 2 part dosing recipe and was curious what form of Calcium Chloride is being used. I heard somewhere you can get Dow flake at home depot but while I was there I inquired and nobody seems to know what it is. So where do you get the stuff?

Palmer

fkshiu
01-03-2010, 12:00 AM
The simple safe way is to get it from either Bulk Reef Supply or Chemaster - both sponsors here.

findingnemo1
01-03-2010, 12:35 AM
As you can no longer buy Dowflake at Univar and the new formula is no longer reccomended due to the Bromine levels ,i recently found a possible substitute at Univar. It is pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride used for dialysis patients. Have been using it in my tank for a couple weeks now and have not seen any negative effects. MSDS actually has on there for Marine tanks:)
100% Calcium Chloride!!!

mark
01-03-2010, 12:44 AM
As you can no longer buy Dowflake at Univar and the new formula is no longer reccomended due to the Bromine levels ,i recently found a possible substitute at Univar. It is pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride used for dialysis patients. Have been using it in my tank for a couple weeks now and have not seen any negative effects. MSDS actually has on there for Marine tanks:)
100% Calcium Chloride!!!

what's the minimum quantity, how much?

findingnemo1
01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
HI Mark

It was a 50kg bag and it was $113.00
Enough to last a very very long time im thinkin:)

fishytime
01-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Rc is now selling bulk chems....Ca, Mg, and DKH...

Palmer
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the info everyone

Ryan
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Findingnemo whats it called or what does the bag look like? I am going in on monday to find some on my way to work, I found a Univar in Coaldale for any of you Lethbridge guys.

megs_clark
01-03-2010, 10:10 PM
I was at my local pool store and they had something called calcium plus in a 8kg bucket for 30 with tax. The lady at the pool store said its 99% calcium chloride, and was white flakes.

Myka
01-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I recently switched to Fauna Marin Calcium chloride hydrosomethingorother. I find it mixes up super easy, and even though some people complain that it costs just under $20/kg I find it is still relatively cheap, and I am assured that it is designed for reef use. I am happy with the results thus far. :)

don.ald
01-03-2010, 11:40 PM
i recently switched to fauna marin calcium chloride hydrosomethingorother. I find it mixes up super easy, and even though some people complain that it costs just under $20/kg i find it is still relatively cheap, and i am assured that it is designed for reef use. I am happy with the results thus far. :)

+1