PDA

View Full Version : couple qt ??'s

cuz
01-02-2010, 07:02 PM
so i have my qt set up and running with cupramine right now eradicating any ich that might exist. My display will remain fishless for the recomended 8 week term before anyone comes out of qt. Now my question is...once the cupramine treatment is done what do i run in the tank. Throw some carbon and water changes at it for the last half of the qt procedure, because the cupramine treatment is 2 weeks but fish will be in for 8weeks? also after everyone returns to the dt what to do with the qt thats had cupramine run through it? I'd like the tank to stay running as a ht/qt or even if the cupra can come out a frag tank would be handy??
do i completely drain it and any hardware thats contacted cupramine, or can say the hob and skimmer be saved for a frag tank application?

Lance
01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Here's what I did: After the Cupramine treatment was done I did a 30% water change and then began hyposalinity treatment. You may not need it, but I wanted to make sure the little bastards were gone. After hypo I maintained the QT for the duration of the 8 weeks, monitoring the ammonia levels closely. Apparently, Cupramine can be removed with carbon filtration and will not cause a problem like other copper chelates, so your QT tank should be safe to use. Hope this helps.

cuz
01-03-2010, 02:52 AM
i read about removing it with carbon, but after all the copper residue stories it kind of got me a bit nervous!!

Lance:
after doing the cupramine and then the hypo, did the ich ever return? After going through all this every fish purchase will go through the qt but should every one be dosed with a cuprmine treatment prior to dt entry to guarentee it woun't return?

also what about adding corals to the display? i need to figure out a good dip/qt that will eliminate them bringing anything in as well??

Lance
01-03-2010, 03:16 AM
i read about removing it with carbon, but after all the copper residue stories it kind of got me a bit nervous!!

Lance:
after doing the cupramine and then the hypo, did the ich ever return? After going through all this every fish purchase will go through the qt but should every one be dosed with a cuprmine treatment prior to dt entry to guarentee it woun't return?

also what about adding corals to the display? i need to figure out a good dip/qt that will eliminate them bringing anything in as well??

Nope, Ich all gone! Never returned. I don't treat new fish unless I see a problem. I QT them for a minimum of 2-3 weeks: if the new fish has a bug it should show up by then. As for corals I always dip them. I use Seachem Coral Disinfectant but there are several other good ones. Then they go into QT for a bit where I keep an eye on them. Then into the DT they go.

cuz
01-03-2010, 06:20 AM
awesome!! thanks for the tips!!