PDA

View Full Version : SPS newbie advice

gbeef
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Ok im starting to do SPS is there any advice on what i should be dosing?
Also what my levels for ALK and CAL should be at?

Dez
01-02-2010, 05:48 PM
There are varied schools of thought on "perfect" calcium alkalinity levels. Some people like it to be a bit higher, some lower. Myself I strive to be within the zeovit levels (420ppm for calcium and about 7dkh for alk), although I tested this morning and my calcium is way out to lunch as I've been away most of Dec. It was 500ppm, so I've opted to run my calcium reactor only during the day for now to let the levels drop naturally. I've experiencing good growth though during these past few months and my calcium has ranged between 420ppm to 500ppm. My alk has ranged betwwn 6 - 8 dkh. Magnesium is another parameter that should be tested. I like to keep mine above 1300, I have trouble doing this cause I don't test that often.

You'll find a lot of experienced aquarists just go by the look of their corals, if they don't look good, then they test. I'm pretty new at sps myself so take all this with a grain of salt.

Zoaelite
01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Just as important as having the right parameters is having them constant, the above post gave you all the correct measurements but far to often do I see newbie's destroy there tanks with supplements (As I have also done this). It's much better to do water changes to replace lost ions if your reef is smaller (This way trace is maintained and you don't skyrocket your totals). What are the tank parameters right now (Size, lighting, flow, pH, Salinity, CA, ALK, Nitrate and the bunch?)
Levi

fishytime
01-03-2010, 02:45 PM
It's much better to do water changes to replace lost ions if your reef is smaller (This way trace is maintained and you don't skyrocket your totals). What are the tank parameters right now (Size, lighting, flow, pH, Salinity, CA, ALK, Nitrate and the bunch?)
Levi

Assuming of course that your salt has adequate levels to begin with....:wink:

KevinK
01-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Just as important as having the right parameters is having them constant, the above post gave you all the correct measurements but far to often do I see newbie's destroy there tanks with supplements (As I have also done this). It's much better to do water changes to replace lost ions if your reef is smaller (This way trace is maintained and you don't skyrocket your totals). What are the tank parameters right now (Size, lighting, flow, pH, Salinity, CA, ALK, Nitrate and the bunch?)
Levi

OK, gust folowing this, as the suplement thing interest me.

my tank vol is about 450 gal, and have about 25 corals (mix) I do my water change every 1x in 2 weeks about 20 gal each time.

as I kant recognise needs as it is fairly new, should I suplement, and if WHAT out of the jungle to start whit?

pictures of my tank are under my profile

fishytime
01-03-2010, 03:13 PM
OK, gust folowing this, as the suplement thing interest me.

my tank vol is about 450 gal, and have about 25 corals (mix) I do my water change every 1x in 2 weeks about 20 gal each time.

as I kant recognise needs as it is fairly new, should I suplement, and if WHAT out of the jungle to start whit?

pictures of my tank are under my profile

Best thing for you to do Kevin is pick up some test kits (if you dont have them already) for CA, Mg and carbonate hardness....find out what these parameters are at before you start dosing anything....

KevinK
01-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Best thing for you to do Kevin is pick up some test kits (if you dont have them already) for CA, Mg and carbonate hardness....find out what these parameters are at before you start dosing anything....

I can mesure everything and everything is where it should be
(use Salifert as I wholesale them to vendors in canada)

salinety = .025
mag = 1350 - 1400
ca = 430 - 450
alk = 8-9
nitrate = 0
amonia= 0
iodine = where it should be
nitrite= 0

and all the other things I'm missing are ok, the only thing is my phosphate ia a bit up ( 0.07) Hanna

gust was thinking abourt amino acid and trace elements

lorenz0
01-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Levi said it the best. When you start complicating things and over analysis your tank thats when your going to have issues. Keep it simple. Also remember that your going to loss a frag here and there, it happens to all of us.

Most of all, always buy from reputable people. As of now there is only 3 people I buy sps from because i trust them