PDA

View Full Version : Cleaner shrimp eggs

three dawgs
09-18-2003, 01:52 AM
How do they look when the shrimp is carrying them. (colour). How long do they carry them and the time it takes to hatch?
Any help greatly appreciated

Quinn
09-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Mine are green, and they don't hatch, they eventually vanish and not long after the shrimp will be carrying another batch. Two of my three do it.

Tropical Paradise
09-18-2003, 05:54 AM
they turn from green to orangey. I think about 2 weeks to hatch.

Before they hatch, you can see black dots as eyes. ON the day of hatch, before light goes out. Cleaner will reach back with its leg and throw out each little tiny shrimps.

The babies swim mostly upside down and comes complete with 2 claws. I have a pic with the shrimp upside down and you can see clearly the babies.

Quinn
09-18-2003, 05:55 AM
It is possible to raise them, is it not?

Tropical Paradise
09-18-2003, 05:56 AM
the fishes are smart, they will wait around the cleaner shrimp, as soon as the shrimp throws out the baby, they will eat it.

Adult cleaner shrimp also tend to eat their babies if there's light in the aquarium and they can see the babies.

Delphinus
09-18-2003, 03:22 PM
You can usually tell when you've had a hatch because your fish (and shrimp) are going nuts shortly after lights-out chasing and eating things that at a distance look invisible but close up are clearly itty-bitty shrimp.

I'm not sure if cleaner shrimp larva have been raised to adulthood. You'd think so, by now, by ORA or other commercial operation.. Pepperment shrimp supposedly have been raised for sure, but (speaking with no real knowledge on the topic) from what I've heard there is something different about peppermint larve that makes them less suspectible to getting stuck to each other like what happens with cleaners.