PDA

View Full Version : DSB Sand Sifter?

Eb0la11
01-02-2010, 06:12 AM
Hey guys, just wondering what a good sand sifting creature would be for a DSB in my refugium? The poll thats going on right now made me think of this. Maybe a fish is the best option? My refuigum is 13G but with the DSB and a small area for chaeto there's probably only around 6G or so of swimming room.

What would work well? I was thinking maybe a star fish too? Or some under-sand snails?

MMAX
01-02-2010, 01:28 PM
Bristle worm?

Marlin65
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
A starfish will decimate all the good things in no time. Just put in some snails that burrow in the sand to keep it mixed up. That and all the things that normally live in the sand like worms ect seed with other live sand. No fish they will eat everything.

ponokareefer
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
I definitely wouldn't use a starfish. They will eat the creatures in your sand bed. Snails probably work the best. I also have 4 engineer goby's that sift the sand everyday, but I'm not sure how beneficial they are, and could be possibly hurting the sand bed.

Myka
01-02-2010, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't put a sand sifter of any in your refugium especially with a DSB. It kind of makes it all a moot point when the sand sifter will decimate the populations you are trying to achieve by making a refugium with a DSB. :)

The starfish will basically eat "everything" in the sandbed (they are big eaters, I've known many to starve in 100+ gallon tanks), and most sifting fish will eat all the pods too.

naesco
01-02-2010, 06:57 PM
i wouldn't put a sand sifter of any in your refugium especially with a dsb. It kind of makes it all a moot point when the sand sifter will decimate the populations you are trying to achieve by making a refugium with a dsb. :)

the starfish will basically eat "everything" in the sandbed (they are big eaters, i've known many to starve in 100+ gallon tanks), and most sifting fish will eat all the pods too.

+1

Eb0la11
01-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Sounds good, thanks guys.

I just think my refugium has been getting "dirty" and wish it was cleaner.... lol

Son Of Skyline
01-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I have a 2" long pistol shrimp who moves an incredible amount of sand on a daily basis. He's all i've ever needed to keep my sandbed clear. Best part is that he's not targeting sandbed critters. He just wants to keep maintaining, building, and expanding his burrow. Paired with my watchman goby, the shrimp is not shy at all and just shovels sand all day long.

Just food for thought but it works for me. If you do go with a pistol i suggest a larger one as i've seen little ones in other peoples' tanks and they just hide all day.

Myka
01-03-2010, 10:00 AM
Ebola, you could try a single Nassarius snail. That would clean up some detritus without disturbing the sandbed too much. A DSB shouldn't be disturbed much if it is to retain it's nutrient reducing properties.

Marlin65
01-03-2010, 02:13 PM
+1 have have three of the bigger ones in my refugium 35 gal and 7-8" of sand and they do a fine job of keeping my sand clean. Some of the small cucumbers might work as well. You don't wand to add anything that is a predator.
To truly get a real live sand bed you have to add real live sand and no you can't get all your organisms from the live rock. Some are just not there unless you get it right from the ocean into your tanks. (those so called live sand bags you get from the store are not the same thing)
You should be able to get a refugium sand bed running fairly well and clean by seeding it from other tanks.
I forgot if you are local but you are welcome top stop by and get a cup from me.

tlo
01-03-2010, 02:21 PM
If you dont want a cucumber, get a sand dollar. They are not that common in the pet stores, but if you can find one, do a wonderful job of keeping the sand clean.