PDA

View Full Version : Finally pics of my reef

toxic111
01-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Well finally here a couple pics of my tank & stand.

33gal mixed reef with 25 gal sump (13gal volume). I have had it set up for nearly 2 years now, but have been battling hair algae for over a year. I think after some recent upgrades I may get the upper hand.

The upgrades were adding the sump, lights, homemade custom stand.

So far I like the much cleaner look.

bvlester
01-02-2010, 05:42 AM
The tank is looking good.
Do you have a urchin they clean the rock of algae right to the rock no trace of the algae where they eat it off the rock.

Bill

viperfish
01-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Very neat looking setup. Keep the flow up and nutrients down, and you should have no problem with the hair algea. I used a couple of lettuce Nudi's to keep mine in check but the challenge with them is keeping them out of the overflow.

toxic111
01-02-2010, 04:26 PM
as for the flow & nutrients.. Kelly (The Reef Shoppe) & I were never ableto tell where it was coming from.. I had tons of flow in the old set-up, as well I had really cut the feeding back, not that I ever over fed at all.

I am hoping with the extra water capacity, a bigger refugium, more flow, a phosphate reactor I can finally beat it down. We have used lettuse nudi's, sea hare, urchins, mexican turbo snails, emerald crabs, and noting was working. We think it was just coming out of the rock. I was scrubbing the rock clean as well as doing 10gal water changes twice a week.

bvlester
01-02-2010, 05:17 PM
wow you have been bisy little bee. if were doing all of the above then that should have worked I know my tux urchin does not eat the hair algae once it is long but some of the fish do so I have some extra food in the tank. I only have a few very little spots where it grows now, which is ok by me. Having a little bit growing insures there is food in the tank and if anything happened and I could not get back home then the fish would eat it.
as I said before your tank is now looking good so keep up the good work I think the fuge is what helps the most with Hair algae, the macro takes the PO4 out of the water before it returns to the tank.

Bill

Canuckgod420
01-02-2010, 05:19 PM
get yourself a small yellow tang(i know tang police)
I had crazy hair algae in my 40G frag tank but nothing in my display( yellow tang in there) so I bought a very small yellow tang, and in 3 weeks there was no algae at all. He now lives in my display and the algae has never come back.

Zoaelite
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Good to see a nice clean looking sump for once :redface:.
Levi

toxic111
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
Playing some more.. got rid of the Coralife skimmer and added this bad boy.. which meant I had to redo my sump as it wouldn't fit... lol