PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Have In Your FOWLR??

The Grizz
01-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi all with FOWLER tanks, I have a 75 gal corner that was built around my Lion Fish, who recently pasted. I have a Snow Flake Eel, Picasso Trigger, Valentini Puffer, Lunare Wrasse (Lg) and a Green Serpent star in the tank now.

Would like to know what other's have in there FOWLR's to get some idea's to make it more enjoyable to look into this tank again. Our Lion Fish was very interesting to watch and interact with.

burgerchow
01-02-2010, 05:10 AM
have 55 gal oceanic corner as well. Inhabitants are 3 electric blue damsels and 1 humu-humu trigger ( picasso). Oh yeah, also have a serpent star.

Grizz, what are you using for skimmer? I've got aqua-c remora. Biggest p.o.s. skimmer I ever owned. Problem is this tank isn't drilled and I need to have a h.o.b. skimmer. I've got about 50 lbs of live rock and running an eheim 2026 cannister as well, but this skimmer barely pulls anything out. I've used backpacks and prism skimmers in the past, and even those are better than the remora. Wonder why so many people on this board raved about them.

The Grizz
01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
I was fortunate that the tank was drilled for both overflow & return but had to rebuild the overflow as it was way to big. I am running a Aqua Medic T1000 skimmer. It could be that your canister is pulling most of the crap out. I had both my 65 gal runnung on Rena XP2 canisters & SeaClone 100 skimmers, some weeks they would pull a half a cup full of junk and other weeks nothing.

viperfish
01-02-2010, 05:50 AM
I have a 180 FOWLR with a Blue Angel, Imperator Angel, Picasso Trigger, Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, Blue Throat Trigger, Niger Trigger, Foxface Lo, Auriga Butterfly, and a mated pair of saddleback clowns. For inverts I have a huge Emerald Crab, Sally Lightfoot Crab, Blue Spiny Lobster (who actually cleans the Angels believe it or not), a Harlequin Serpent Star, and a whole buch of Turbo Snails. I sort of broke the whole FOWLR rule and tried a few finger leathers but I give it a week or two and the Angels and butterfly will turn it back into a FOWLR again. I have a 45 Gal sump with a 200 Micron filter sock, two skimmers rated for 250 gallons each, and an 1800 GPH return pump. It's the Angels and Triggers that did it for me, they are my favourite fish, unfortunately Angels will pick at pretty much any coral you put in there. I tried to introduce a GBTA and within days my Blue Angel was trying to tear the tentacles off. Luckily I saved it but you get the idea.

The Grizz
01-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I have a Coral Beauty that is in my 155 BF Reef tank, it doesn't bother any of my coral. I might get a zebra or dwarf lion again not sure. I do like butterflies and angels. I had a Niger Trigger at one point to, want to get another.

burgerchow
01-02-2010, 06:09 AM
I have a Coral Beauty that is in my 155 BF Reef tank, it doesn't bother any of my coral. I might get a zebra or dwarf lion again not sure. I do like butterflies and angels. I had a Niger Trigger at one point to, want to get another.

Grizz, J&L's has some beautiful Nigers in stock. About 6 " long, and only about $30 bucks.

viperfish
01-02-2010, 06:17 AM
I have tried a few of the dwarf Angels, Coral Beauty, Bicolor, and Flame. For some strange reason I have the crappiest luck with them. My first large Angel was the Blue Angel, I originally had it in a 90 FOWLR and considering they get to be 18" I figured I would upgrade to a 180 to plan ahead (that was how I justified it with the Wife anyway, ha ha!). I did do the Clown Trigger thing, as far as I'm concerned they are the ultimate predator tank fish. There is nothing they won't eat including live rock, they have the nerve of a toothache, and they look like something taken out of a cartoon! I bought mine at J&L for $150, the flight was delayed, the water was very cold when I got it but it was still alive but barely. I managed to bring it around but about a week later it died. So much for the arrive alive thing. I would love to get another one sometime.

burgerchow
01-02-2010, 06:23 AM
I have tried a few of the dwarf Angels, Coral Beauty, Bicolor, and Flame. For some strange reason I have the crappiest luck with them. My first large Angel was the Blue Angel, I originally had it in a 90 FOWLR and considering they get to be 18" I figured I would upgrade to a 180 to plan ahead (that was how I justified it with the Wife anyway, ha ha!). I did do the Clown Trigger thing, as far as I'm concerned they are the ultimate predator tank fish. There is nothing they won't eat including live rock, they have the nerve of a toothache, and they look like something taken out of a cartoon! I bought mine at J&L for $150, the flight was delayed, the water was very cold when I got it but it was still alive but barely. I managed to bring it around but about a week later it died. So much for the arrive alive thing. I would love to get another one sometime.

Use to have a clown trigger in the 90's. Got him when he was about 1.5 " and grew him to about 7" before I turned the tank to a full reef, and I had to trade him in.
People think piranhas are vicious, they've never seen a clown trigger in action. They'll take a chunk out of the tip of your fingers if you aren't careful when feeding. I agree, they are the ultimate predator fish as well as the most beautiful fish in the world hands down.

The Grizz
01-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Grizz, J&L's has some beautiful Nigers in stock. About 6 " long, and only about $30 bucks.
I plan on ordering some live stock from J&L for both my tanks in the near future. Waiting on an order of dry good from them, should be here Tuesday I hope.

BlueTang<3
01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
get an angular/frog fish or a fu man chu lion fish there both some sweet looking fish and there pretty interesting to watch

MMAX
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a 180 FOWLR with a Blue Angel, Imperator Angel, Picasso Trigger, Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, Blue Throat Trigger, Niger Trigger, Foxface Lo, Auriga Butterfly, and a mated pair of saddleback clowns. For inverts I have a huge Emerald Crab, Sally Lightfoot Crab, Blue Spiny Lobster (who actually cleans the Angels believe it or not), a Harlequin Serpent Star, and a whole buch of Turbo Snails. I sort of broke the whole FOWLR rule and tried a few finger leathers but I give it a week or two and the Angels and butterfly will turn it back into a FOWLR again. I have a 45 Gal sump with a 200 Micron filter sock, two skimmers rated for 250 gallons each, and an 1800 GPH return pump. It's the Angels and Triggers that did it for me, they are my favourite fish, unfortunately Angels will pick at pretty much any coral you put in there. I tried to introduce a GBTA and within days my Blue Angel was trying to tear the tentacles off. Luckily I saved it but you get the idea.

I'd love to see a pic of your blue spiny lobster.

viperfish
01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I'll see if I can get one today. It usually hides in a crevice during the day with just two long white antennae sticking out.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Our "Fowlr" with some soft corals has a Porcupine puffer, Sargassum trigger, Purple/Yellow & Powder Brown tangs, Marine betta & a black sailfin blenny.

Sargassum is the most aggressive eater in there.

Porcupine puffer is the most popular & funny fish with us & visitors.

Marine betta is the most beautiful fish in the tank.

viperfish
01-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Any agression problems with the Sargassum? How about the Marine Betta? I just love those. I haven't seen them for sale for quite some time.