PDA

View Full Version : SPS problem..please help me identify.

jimbo222
01-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Please help me identify this flesh problem on my sps.
I noticed it yesterday and took a photo.
Today i took another photo you can see how fast the flesh is coming off.
I watched it yesterday night and noticed two pea size crabs on it .
I.v had it for over a month now and it has shown great signs of growth and colour until yesterday...non of my other sps's show any sign/s of problem.
all water paremeters where checked ok..
Any idea's would be appreciated. thanks

FlamesFan
01-02-2010, 12:23 AM
The crabs are probably just normal crabs that hitch hike on SPS all the time. I have at least 3-4 in my SPS.

Without seeing better pictures im going to go out on a limb and say your probably dealing with STN (Slow Tissue Necrosis). Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done about this and you can only cross your fingers and hope it stops, or frag the coral and hope for the best.

Search RC and This site for "STN" and "RTN". It's one of the most popular topics with SPS husbandry.

christyf5
01-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I vote crabs, if it was STN there wouldn't be any "islands" of tissue left, it tends to recede in complete sections. Get those crabs out of there the next time you see them.

Alternatively, move the coral to a different location or find a frag rack to set it on where the crabs can't reach them. However, its likely they'll find another one to pick at.

Skimmerking
01-02-2010, 12:45 AM
that is why im switching over to lps AND SOFTIES SPS can die on you just by walking by the tank/.......

jimbo222
01-02-2010, 12:49 AM
super info thatks all
any easy way to capture the crabs.

fishytime
01-02-2010, 01:11 PM
If the tissue continues ti receed, take the colony/frag out of the tank and "crazy glue"(gel formulation) the edge of the living and dead tissue(make sure you cover some of the living tissue with the glue)....this some times works to stop TN-ing.....frag it up as a last resort....

Marlin65
01-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I had two large colonies do this to me when my alk was to low. It stopped when I dialed my tank back in sure your alk is okay?