PDA

View Full Version : Some sort of strange RTN event. Help!

christyf5
09-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Hi,

I just got home from work today and 5 separate SPS are starting to lose tissue. I have a yellow cap that has a big white spot in the center of one piece, a purple cap that has a whitish spot at one edge, some sort of brown frag (possibly an acro?) that is almost completely gone except for one tip and a pink birdsnest that has a tiny bit of white on one part, as well as a pink acro with yellow tips that is half gone. I can "rescue" (hopefully) some of these by fragging them.

I did add some of that Kents Phosphate Sponge on Sunday and left it in until today which is past the 2 days it says on the container. Does this stuff release more phosphates than it absorbs or something? That is the only thing I have done to the tank lately. The temperature is still running a bit high but is within the temperature range i have experienced in the past 2 months so that is nothing new.

Ammonia = still waiting for the stupid test, takes 20 mins
Nitrate = 0
Phosphate = less than 0.2

Anyone have any ideas on what happened? Ideas on how to save what I have left?

TIA
Christy :)

zulu_principle
09-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Christy

IMHO

I dont think its something from just today, tissue errosion seems to happen two or three days after a significant event.

The tank I had drop to 65 degrees was fine for two days or so it seemed, on the third day I had rapid tissue errosion.

I fragged some of the colonies and some were fine, others were a total loss, id say 55% of the frags have survived.

It must be associated with water quality and something has changed in the last few days, pH ?, sG ?, temp ?, etc., etc. since most dont keep track on a neptune or some other charting system its hard to tell what has changed but its not just a freak of nature.

Again only my HO.

Sorry I cant be more of a help.

Wendell

PS Why the phosphate sponge ? was it high phosphates tested or just some other sign of high nutrients in the water ?

Broken heater ? or something else leeching into the water ?

christyf5
09-18-2003, 02:21 AM
Well I've had a bit of an algae problem for some time :rolleyes: Dinoflagellates. I tested my makeup water with a TDS meter and it was 29. So Save -on needs to change their membrane because it didn't used to be that bad. Anyway, I figured since tap water around here is 25 there must be some phosphates fuelling it so I put in the phosphate sponge. I have since found a new source for water and am seriously contemplating getting a RO/DI system.

Hmm, what have I done then? Jack came over on Saturday and we messed with the skimmer, then he had to leave before we could get it together again so we fixed it on Sunday.

Monday my dad put doors on the tank. I left one open because I was worried about heat issues. the temperature has remained constant.

I did do a waterchange last week and was 2 degrees off on my temperature because the LCD thingy got wet on my digital thermometer. That was like last wednesday though. And it was with the crappy water.

I have noticed a reduction in my flatworm population. I just added a green wrasse so either he has been eating them or for some reason the population crashed (certainly not due to carrying capacity thats for sure, I only had about 75-100 or so).

Other than that I am stumped. I'm doing a 25% water change with good water right now.

Thanks for the reply Wendell, I appreciate it. I was having a bit of meltdown for awhile. I'm calmer now :razz:

Christy :)

EmilyB
09-18-2003, 02:26 AM
I'm glad you are calmer. :cool:

Perhaps your discussion with Bill regarding post maco prizes will include the topic of an RO/DI system............. :biggrin:

christyf5
09-18-2003, 02:37 AM
Good call Em! :cool: