PDA

View Full Version : Empty 120g! What should i use it for?

SeaSerpant
01-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Okay, i have an empty 120g in my room and i have no idea what to use it for! I know i could always set up another sw aquarium. But that may break my bank! Is there any cheap ideas that i could use it for. Or just a cheap way to convert it to a sw aquarium!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

whatcaneyedo
01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
There are good deals on used equipment on here all of the time. Keep an eye out for them and you could convert it into a nice display or frag tank on a budget.

Ryan
01-01-2010, 11:08 PM
I would do Discus myself if I had a spare 120 but some of those can be just as much as a SW tank.

whatcaneyedo
01-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Is the tank already drilled? If not, now might be a really good time to get it done.

burgerchow
01-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Best bang for the buck would be using it for African Cichlid tank. All you need is a cheap light, and a good cannister filter. Some Africans have beautiful colors almost rivalling salt water fish.

SeaSerpant
01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Whatcaneyedo
I don't know if i can drill it, it says on the bottom pane on a sticker "do not drill tempered glass" could i still try to drill it? lol

Ryan
Ya i heard discus need pristine water conditions so it would be fairly hard to keep that up when i want to make it quick and easy ;) but a great idea none the less!

Burgerchow
Chiclids are really nice! I did have a few angels when it was set up as a tropical tank!

I heard the idea of a terrarium, what would be a nice thing to keep in one?

Thanks
SeaSerpant

whatcaneyedo
01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Many manufacturers use tempered glass on the bottom of their tanks. Thats why I always play it safe and drill the back instead.

Ryan
01-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I used to breed them and yes to grow them to that perfect round shape you need pretty clean water. Although I have found as of late if you buy captive bred (lots of people doing it now) they are much hardier and accustomed to our water conditions. In a 120gallon tank you wouldnt need to do near the WCs either.

If you ever get a chance stop in at Gold's in Calgary, Dennis has some nice ones over his counter and some rare breeding pairs in the back. I think I seen some Highfin Turquoise and Albino Snake Skins when I was in there Boxing Day.

Spiny
01-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Pristine water for FW is pretty simple, buy a python and do 50% water changes weekly, that and put a couple of plants that's what I do and it's proven very effective so far.

Ryan
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Thats not prisitne for Discus. To raise discus to get that perfect round you need to do 75-100% WCs daily or every other day. If you dont mind a little oval or dont need perfection then you can slack off a little.

Most breeders I see that are medium to large scale use a constant drip system that would change 75-100% every 24 hrs.