PDA

View Full Version : which ro water to buy ?

lobsterboy
01-01-2010, 08:36 AM
hello everyone and happy new year.

so with the new year comes a time for some change, that being maybe using ro water. so i want to do a test for abit to see if there are any changes to my system.

soooo, which ro water is the best to buy in store. is distilled water the same as ro, or what does the label say. thanks

Kevotron
01-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Why not an RO unit ?
i use to purchase water from Sobeys and it was such a hassle bringing 3-4 bottles there, waiting for it to fill, then lugging it back to the car then back into the home...

mike31154
01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
The difference between distilled and RO water is minimal. They're simply different processes to achieve the same goal, almost pure water. RO forces water through a membrane to strip impurities whereas distilled water is produced by boiling water to create steam, which is then condensed, leaving impurities behind. So it probably boils down to price, RO vs distilled.

I'd have to agree with Kevotron in that an RO unit might be a better option, especially if your signature is current and you're running a 125 gallon tank. That's a fair amount of water to be bringing back from the store. The upfront cost of purchasing an RO system will be amortized relatively quickly. For a few dollars more you can add DI and have even purer water. The downside is the amount of waste water produced and finding creative ways of using that, rather than just sending it down the drain.

Or you could build yourself a still, make your own distilled water and maybe a little 'shine on the side. Just don't allow any law enforcement friends you may have into your house!

Happy New year.

Triggz
01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree, with a 125 gallon tank it might be better to invest in an actual unit. If you do decide just to go with bottles, I would try to find an actual bottled water store. When I used to get bottled RO I ended up calling all the local water depots and going with the place with the lowest TDS reading. Closest thing I could get to RO/DI water.

ColinD
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I've been using bottled water for my tank from the start as we already had a water service in place. started using Aqua Source water from Canmore and was very happy with it TDS was consistently 0, no phosphates or other contaminates. Cancelled our service with them at the end of the summer, and started using Sobey's (Arrowsmith) water as it was very conveinent to pick up when shopping. Tested it for TDS and it was at 4, not the best but it worked. tested the same water about a month ago and lo and behold TDS was at 120+, which I guess explains all the hair algea. Have since used Polaris (Superstore) TDS of 4 and water from The Water Store TDS of 4-6. so I guess it pays to shop around and test it.

Colin

kien
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Have you guys seen his tank?!?! Hehe.

John, your tank does so well without RO! If it ain't broke don't fix it? :-)

Myka
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Agreed. Big changes like that in an established system can cause you more grief than anything. I'm pretty big on the RO wagon, but in your case I say let it be!!

If you persist, I do agree that you should just buy your own RO/DI system (don't forget a digital TDS meter!). Should cost you about $200. Waiting for the bottles to fill, and lugging jugs of water around gets old REAL fast especially with a tank your size.

ColinD
01-02-2010, 01:25 AM
Have you guys seen his tank?!?! Hehe.

I have, and knows he lives in an apartment and probably doesn't want to chance damaging plumbing when installing an RO/DI system. But I agree if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Colin

Myka
01-02-2010, 01:33 AM
You don't have to mess with plumbing at all if you don't want to. Mine screws onto the kitchen faucet with a $5 adapter. I just set it on the counter.

Kevotron
01-02-2010, 02:24 AM
Installing an RO unit is easy and simple and reversible (replacing piping) so is definitely do-able in an apartment

lobsterboy
01-02-2010, 02:51 AM
thanks for the info everyone, i do live in an apartment so i didnt want to start to mess with the plumbing and such.

so the main reason for the ro water, is i now have an auto top off, instead of me coming home and manually replacing water, i thought that the tap water that i use straight from the tap into the tank, might sour or go stale if i was sitting for awhile.

any thoughts on tap water going stale?

ALBERTA REEF
01-02-2010, 03:20 AM
RO units are the way to go. One of these days you should check out my RO unit. You do not need to go extrme as ming. :biggrin: If you need any help plumping one in. Give me a shout.

Myka
01-02-2010, 04:32 AM
i do live in an apartment so i didnt want to start to mess with the plumbing and such.

any thoughts on tap water going stale?

Don't plumb it in then. The AquaFX RO/DI unit I bought already came with a hose adapter on the input. All I had to do was buy the $5 adapter to hook it to the tap. If you get a 150 GPD unit you will be able to make water fast, and you just pull the unit out, hook it up for a couple hours, and you have water for the week. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier than lugging 5 gallon jugs around your apartment hallways.

I don't think you will have any issues with tap water going stale. I do like to keep a small powerhead running in the top up water though. Makes me think it keeps the water fresher, but i have no idea if it makes any difference. :lol:

lobsterboy
01-02-2010, 04:40 AM
thanks myka i am going to look into this unit.

I still havent hooked up the top off, been busy, between work, holidays, and uncharted2. hehe

mike31154
01-02-2010, 02:43 PM
I assume you are treating your tap water with some kind of chlorine binding agent/neutralizer? How is that going to work with your ATO if you're not around? Or maybe I'm missing a step you already have in place? And just for curiosity's sake, what's the source water TDS in your area of YYC? Mine here in Vernon is over 210 and I used treated tap for over a year. I'm quite certain my tank is improving after switching to RODI, particularly with respect to undesireable algae.

Chase31
01-08-2010, 08:42 PM
i think i might go to one, but i think he means he would treat it then put it in the ATO

Myka
01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Did you decide on anything?