PDA

View Full Version : Fernie or Kicking Horse?

Triggz
01-01-2010, 04:09 AM
Would like to go snowboarding for a few days next week. I was thinking either Fernie or Kicking Horse... I haven't been to either so not really sure if one is better than the other for riding. Also, someone told me if I go to Fernie drive the safe way...Which way is the "safe" way haha (from Calgary) ?

cuz
01-01-2010, 04:36 AM
can't go wrong with either!! personally i go to Fernie alot more.. I dunno about the safe way?? i would assume by safe they might mean straight south, then west on highway 3?? Kind of a long drive for ya!!

Triggz
01-01-2010, 04:43 AM
Yeah the drive might suck hahaha. This is my first winter in Calgary and I would like to hit up as many different mountains as I can this year. I plan on going for 3 days so I thought I would go somewhere a bit further away, then just make day trips to closer mountains. It's been years since I have been on a true mountain so im pretty stoked!

cuz
01-01-2010, 04:45 AM
deffinately fernie then!!! if the powder doesn't put a smile on your face the scenery will!!

Triggz
01-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Fernie it is! I was on their website and they have some pretty good mid-week deals. Fresh powder always puts a smile on my face!:mrgreen:

blueyota
01-01-2010, 07:25 PM
yup i would say fernie right now ...conditions are really good ...kicking horse needs some fresh snow ....i have been to both in the last two weeks ....

blueyota
01-01-2010, 07:28 PM
oh and if you do go to fernie you might want to take a day and go to castle mountain ....really fun hill and no line ups at all its only an hour away from fernie and you have to drive past it to get to fernie .....Its a hidden gem!!!!:mrgreen:

Triggz
01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Just finished booking the trip! Staying at Lizard Creek Lodge for 3 days.. Huge Suite with a King Bedroom + Loft bedroom, full kitchen, living room w/ gas fireplace, balcony... Only $149 a night!!!!! The guy was sayin regular price is like $400+ a night!

Soooo Stoked!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Navigator
01-01-2010, 10:11 PM
It's a good call to do Fernie now, it can lose snow very early. I was at Louise in March once and the people I was talking to had planned Fernie but they had already lost their snow.

If you really like powder, the mountains in the interior of BC are fantastic. I was at Big White for Reading Week one year and even three days after snowfall was finding fresh powder in the trees. 3 meters of base! It was awesome. I really like Silver Star and Big White.

Triggz
01-02-2010, 12:10 AM
It's a good call to do Fernie now, it can lose snow very early.

Good to know! I have heard Big White can get some epic powder!! Have to throw it on the "hit list"

muck
01-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I haven't been for a few years but I love Fernie.
Fernie was my favorite stop on the 6 mountain snowboard trip me and some buds did a few years back. :biggrin:

mike31154
01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
I've been to Fernie once and Kicking Horse several times. Both are excellent particularly if you haven't had the taste of a larger chunk of vertical in some time. Being in Vernon I'm a bit spoiled with Silver Star almost in my front yard, so not much need for me to travel too far, but once in a while, a change of pace is in order. While it's not huge in comparison with vertical to some of the larger resorts, I get plenty of mileage on excellent snow due to non existent lineups during the week. Even weekends are not that busy once the holidays are over.

Anyhow, back to the bigger Kahunas. I'm a bit biased to Kicking Horse since they offer a discount to Silver Star season's pass holders whereas Fernie does not. Both resorts could do with some lift upgrades since they're charging close to the same price for lift tickets as the likes of Whistler Blackcomb! It's nice to have the 'little' mountain feel of non detachable, low speed chair lifts, but don't be charging ticket prices of areas running predominantly high speed lifts. At least Kicking horse has a modern high speed gondola to get you to the summit.

Back to the sunny Okanagan. Silver Star and Big White are both owned by the same Aussie family, the Schumann's, so I have the choice of upgrading my season's pass to dual mountain for an extra $90 or so. I chose to move to Vernon in 2004 after I discovered Silver Star. I absolutely love the terrain and the snow pack has been very reliable over the years. Other choices in the Okanagan are Sun Peaks to the north outside Kamloops, Apex near Penticton, and a little gem called Mount Baldy not far from Oliver. If you're looking for the small mountain friendly feel, with some great terrain, Baldy is a little secret for sure and the lift ticket price is a pleasant surprise. They're closed Tues & Wed for most of the season so they have what's called Big Powder Thursday. If you catch the right Thursday it's almost like a great day in the backcountry.

Finally, if you're looking for a longer trip, and it's really only an hour or so farther west of Kicking Horse, you owe it to yourself to check out Revelstoke Mountain Resort. Huge expansion several years ago and now boasts the longest vertical in North America. The area gets one of the most reliable snow packs in the interior. Only near the valley bottom, you can sometimes get a little rain to dampen the enthusiasm.

Revelstoke Mountain Resort - Revelsoak, due to frequent rain at relatively low elevation of the original resort, no longer an apt descriptor at it's higher elevations
Sun Peaks - three mountains to explore and senator Nancy Greene is your host
Silver Star - my hill and I love it
Big White - sometimes referred to as Big Whiteout due to foggy conditions, hard to beat on a sunny day though
Apex - Scrapex, sometimes the snow pack is iffy at the top
Mount Baldy - like I mentioned, a little hidden gem on the right Thursday, or any other day it's open for that matter

There's another small area just south of Kelowna (Westbank) called Crystal Mountain. Never been there so can't provide any advice. Kamloops also has another smaller area called Harper Mountain I know nothing about.

Have fun in Fernie, you'll be blown away by the terrain and the surrounding peaks. If they'd just upgrade a couple of the lifts, or maybe I'm out of touch and they already have since I visited a couple of years ago.

Triggz
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
WOW! Thanks for all the great info Mike I really do appreciate it. The main reason for myself moving to Calgary was to enjoy the mountains and get in as much quality riding as I could in the winter. That and I am a die hard Stampeders fan :lol:... Went to every home game this year it was great!

I was actually talking to someone from Fernie today at work. He said there was lots of good snow close to the top but the bottom of the mountain is a little rough. Keeping my fingers crossed for some fresh powder while I am there!

mike31154
01-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Not a problem and I'm sure you'll have great conditions at Fernie. My avatar should give some indication of how I spend a lot of my time in the winter months. If you ever decide to check out the hills in the Okanagan, I'll be happy to show you around Silver Star. You could probably get a reasonably priced flight from Calgary to Kelowna and save yourself the driving hassles over the mountain passes, not to mention a lot of travel time.

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure. They're from several years ago, but it's all I have handy online at the moment.

At the top of a run called 'Where's Bob' at Silver Star

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pPynXo8hafw899GOMZG60HBb2q27xc4K1NjT8T0EXjm7IlTM CYld0LLT5K4_q25lROtnuxnC5-1DIT_nG2KHSWQ/DCP_0814.JPG

The trees are loaded with champagne powder

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1p8Gnzz89l9q_NkGkCBSUDg1c70rcM1U75EDcKnIoesK5IkuM jUGWqvWh889CPBIyLH5vnYtLg4dF75EkS0bt3kw/DCP_0017.JPG

Same idea at Big White

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pnEV0BsngXb8GDQlpKRE-qZtDAq3C_XMYkJw18x5ZP-1UeOoujFNnFnGl3tePrlL8VxiGViXwy-T-WuGNxvWrUQ/P1240018.jpg

... and Mt. Baldy. Note the absence of any other powder hounds.

http://public.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pnEV0BsngXb_9oTOa-wzx-CmSPcpPqgKCNv_tcBkD7qQIVTTCdFnKshVL_8w7ZWvUMRxcbrA YnY2Ok8Sja3VS1A/DCP_1420.JPG

Triggz
01-09-2010, 12:52 AM
Fernie was a good call!:biggrin: Here are a couple pics I took at the top of the Siberia bowl.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Triggz86/Fernie%20Jan%202010/IMG_8112.jpg

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff340/Triggz86/Fernie%20Jan%202010/IMG_8128.jpg