PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Lid for Refugium

Eb0la11
12-31-2009, 02:59 AM
Hey guys,

so Im planning on building an acrylic lid for my refugium so that I can house some garden eels in the DSB that is in my refugium.

Its 16"x13" and I bought a 24"x24" piece of acrylic that is 1/4" thick.

I am wanting to know what the best way to cut the acrylic is without the use of a table saw? I do have a skill saw and could clamp the acrylic to a work bench and make the cut, but wanted to ask if there is a better way? I want a clean looking lid. Im going to cut it to size and then likely glue some runners around the edges so it drops into place into the refugium, so to say. I'll also probably make a hinge to feed the eels easily etc...

Let me know what your guys thoughts are on this.

hillegom
12-31-2009, 03:38 AM
I think you need a special blade. One without a rake on the teeth.
When I want to cut straight with a skil, then I clamp a piece of 1/4 inch steel flatbar to the work and let the edge of the saw follow that.

Ian
12-31-2009, 06:00 AM
You could always cut it a little large and then use a router to clean up the edges, if you have access to one that is.

byee
12-31-2009, 06:28 AM
I would suggest using a table saw with a 80 teeth blade. I do suggest doing a rough cut cost to the desired size first then re-cutting it to its desired size and polish it with Rez N Bond with a Q-tip.

Eb0la11
12-31-2009, 07:47 AM
Hmmmm, thanks guys, where can I get rez n bond in Calgary? Home Depot have it?

byee
12-31-2009, 08:21 AM
I bought a litre of the stuff from GE Polymers 1.5 years ago.

They've been bought by another company about 6 months ago.

Do a search on the internet for the new compnay name.

Sorry

plutoniumJoe
12-31-2009, 03:36 PM
I bought a litre of the stuff from GE Polymers 1.5 years ago.

They've been bought by another company about 6 months ago.

Do a search on the internet for the new compnay name.

Sorry

Sabic Polymers

byee
01-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Eb0la11

Did you get a chance to make your lid ?? Any problems buying the agent to polish the edges from Home Depot ??