PDA

View Full Version : changing out sandbed

freddy
12-30-2009, 02:52 PM
So I started changing out my sandbed,i had a mixture of crushed coral and sand.I first started out with crushed coral,it started discoloring,then I had the bright idea to mix some old dead sand my buddy had into the crushed coral,I washed it good,but for the last 6 months,the crushed coral,always has alge growing on it.So yesterday I started changing it out,only about a quarter of it at a time,it wasn't that deep of a sandbed mabey an inch,I will do it slowly as to try and not cause a huge cycle,any ideas or comments would be appreciated.thanks.

robzilla
12-31-2009, 05:16 AM
i did mine in one change out. ran carbon and the skimmer on a wet skim for awhile to help clear it up.
how's things in creston?

freddy
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Things are pretty good,drove through castlegar on monday,stoped buy petopia and talked to the owner,he said he,s getting salt but dosn't know when,went over to kootney critters,their not to friendly,should be getting a nice piece of candycane coral from a buddy here in creston soon,fish are nice but corals make a tank.

robzilla
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM
yes corals help to make the tank. i've got an angel who likes to eat most of them :)

freddy
12-31-2009, 04:56 PM
I have a bicolour that picks once in a while,but no real damage,just finished changing out my sandbed,looks pretty cool,just hope I don't get too much of a cycle,I just changed the front and left the back alone,can't see it anyways.