PDA

View Full Version : Ich !!!

Kevotron
12-29-2009, 06:20 AM
So i just purchased a racoon butterfly fish a couple days back and it seems he has developed ich.. covering his body,fins...
hes active, seem to chase food but won't eat it...
i read about Hypo salinity treatment for ich but being a newbie i am not sure how or what i should do ?

edikpok
12-29-2009, 06:35 AM
if he eats, then soak your food in selcon and garlic (garlic helps fish eat...);and keep your water prestine and he should lose the ich

bvlester
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM
Seems he is not eating you need to give him a bath in ICH-X you can also try Para Guard not so toxic you can also try melafix. then try and fined the cause of the ick you will have to evacuate the tank he was in for 45 days as that is the life cycle of ICK. Get a neon goby after as they will pick the ick off and eat it unlike the cleaner shrimp. most of the time the shrimp will only pull it off but will not eat it on ocation and if you are lucky you will get one that eats them.

Bill

Kevotron
12-29-2009, 06:47 AM
so i have to set up a separate tank with a filter and put meds in it ? for 45 days ?

rockworm
12-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I currently have a racoon in QT. I am using cupramine (copper) treatment. You put half the full dose in on day one, then the other half after 48 hours. I think (don't have the bottle in front of me) you maintain the full dose for 10 days.

During this time, you have to monitor the water condition for ammonia as there will be no denitrifying bactieria. The copper kills it all. Frequent water changes may be necessary.

The 45 days, I believe, refers to leaving the display tank fallow (no fish) to ensure that the ich cycle is brolken and all traces of ich in the display die off.

so i have to set up a separate tank with a filter and put meds in it ? for 45 days ?

bvlester
12-29-2009, 05:43 PM
I currently have a racoon in QT. I am using cupramine (copper) treatment. You put half the full dose in on day one, then the other half after 48 hours. I think (don't have the bottle in front of me) you maintain the full dose for 10 days.

During this time, you have to monitor the water condition for ammonia as there will be no denitrifying bactieria. The copper kills it all. Frequent water changes may be necessary.

The 45 days, I believe, refers to leaving the display tank fallow (no fish) to ensure that the ich cycle is brolken and all traces of ich in the display die off.

You have got it I would have gotton back to youo guys sooner but we have company. YOu don't have to use a copper basted solution you can use parigaurd it is by seachem I believe and is suposto be filter safe it takes longer but is easer on the fish. ICK -x uses a forimin solution shich is easer on the fish also. You have to use copper based solutions to kill Marine velvet. Flucks and over worms you can use pazi-pro. It will also kill flat worms but I believe you need to up the dose. follow all instructions. with the exception of the beginning dose I normaly give 2/3's dose one day 1 and 48 hrs latter give the rest and then mantain the dose from there.

Bill

rocco134
12-29-2009, 05:46 PM
dont panic... i brought home a blue tang that showed some ich after i put him in my tank. i got really worked up and was trying to catch him (probably stressed the crap out of the poor little guy). I started soaking the food in garlic (used the oil from a jar of minced garlic that i bought at the grocery store for 2 bucks) and the ich cleared up within a few days... and no signs of the ich have ever come back or showed on the other fish

Kevotron
12-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Well heres an update, Fish hasn't been seen at all.. will have to take out some rocks to see if we can find his/her's carcass :(