PDA

View Full Version : Feed LPS???

Marlin65
12-29-2009, 02:16 AM
Do chalices need to be fed I have a few LPS and have never fed any of them. My chalice is not doing too well though. Should I be feeding it??

Zoaelite
12-29-2009, 02:31 AM
I find that my chalices will only eat at night time or very early morning but will accept small meaty foods such as Mysid Shrimps, I doubt that not feeding is killing it as most photosynthetic pieces of coral get around than 98% of there energy from sugars produced by Dinoflagellatic photosynthesis (This is from BBC The Blue
Planet Sea's of Life).

On the other hand species LPS that are target fed in my tank tends to grow faster and show much better colors than ones that are not.
Levi

edikpok
12-29-2009, 04:39 AM
I would.... I feed all my LPS 1 day before a water change to clean all the debree :)

bvlester
12-29-2009, 05:17 AM
I would feed as then they get more protien and that energy last a lot longer than any suger energy does that is why corals that are spot fed grow better. Ya when times are lean they can survive on the photosynthetic suger energy. But it take energy to make that enery a lot more than it does to just digest food. Plus you can soke food in coral vit and see then color up after that.

Bill