PDA

View Full Version : siliconing a tank

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 04:04 AM
I have a spare 40g sitting at my house and i just re did the siliconing but it still leaks, so I am going to scrape it all off and re do it. any tips for a clean seam?? and one thing I forgot, is there specific marine safe silicone?

dsaundry
12-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Zach,yes, you have to use a marine silicone if I remember correctly, some silicones are toxic. Can't remember if picked it up at Rona or Animal House in Chilliwack, might have even been Home Hardware. I will do some checking if I get time during work tomorrow.:biggrin:

busypencil
12-28-2009, 05:40 AM
If I recall marine silicone has mold inhibitors in it and they are toxic to fish.

plutoniumJoe
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
You want to use GE Silcone I it is reef safe. If you live near United and Mary Hill By-pass and you aren't in a rush you can go to Sabic Polymers and get GE 1200 Silicone wich I beleive is stronger and reef safe.

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys. I didn't realize that until after I got it siliconed so now I have to re do it :p No, I live in Chilliwack, so unless i'm in coquitlam mary hill is a bit out of my way if I can find it at other places.:biggrin:

rjengen
12-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I used GE 1200 with great results. When it comes to prepping the seams to be sealed, make sure your scrape them down, and then use something to clean them further. I used acetone to clean all my edges, might not be the best stuff, but it worked. Once you're ready, make sure you use masking tape on all the seams back 1/2" or so from the edges, run your bead, smooth it out, and then rip the tape off. It will give you a clean looking job.

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 11:29 PM
OK, thanks... So what do I use to smooth it out with?? Last time I kept getting left with stringy fibres going everywhere...

hillegom
12-29-2009, 12:50 AM
Put on one of those thin surgical gloves. Mechanics use them too.

ZachAttack
12-29-2009, 12:52 AM
so with the gloves just use my fingers to spread the silicone??

rjengen
12-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Ya you bet, when you smooth it over you want to get a little coverage onto the masking tape aswell so your edges look top notch. I will try and find you a couple pics of what we're talking about. You should be able to find gloves at canadian tire, rona, all the places for a half good price. If all else fails, "borrow" a pair from the first aid kit at work haha :redface:

ZachAttack
12-29-2009, 01:47 AM
Haha, yeah, I work at a mechanic shop and we use the blue nitrile gloves. I have 3 full boxes sitting on my tool box, so I'll just snag a hand full of them :redface: And thanks, pics would help; but I think I understand what you mean with the tape. All I need now is to find a local supply of some of the reef safe silicone.

Werbo
12-29-2009, 09:43 PM
Use GE Silicone Type I (GE 1200 is better if you can find it - good luck)
Do one corner at a time.
Clean area thoughly (use razor blade)
Masking tape 1/2 max from corner
Run a continuous, uniform bead of silicone up corner
Smooth with back of plastic spoon
Remove tape immediately

megs_clark
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Hi, I know this is a old post, but just for if anyone in Chilliwack is wondering, They have the GE Silicone Type I at walmart in two packs for about $8 and Rona always has it for around $5 a tube. You want to make sure its the blue and white tube. DO NOT Get the red and white tube. Iv used this on my sump and overflow and it worked great. Also make sure to look at the color because it comes in clear white and black though the black isnt often in stock

studmaster
07-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Home Hardware has a tube of Silicone, teal coloured tube, actually says "Safe for Aquariums" right on the front. 3.99. Or the 3 pack is 9.99.

sean2477
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
OK, thanks... So what do I use to smooth it out with?? Last time I kept getting left with stringy fibres going everywhere...

I honestly find if you put a bit of spit on your finger before you start, for whatever reason, the silicone doesnt stick to youre finger.:wink: