PDA

View Full Version : Sump Pump

Snufflupagus
12-28-2009, 03:23 AM
Hey all,

I have a 96 gallon reef tank going right now and I'm running it with a fluval filter and would like to change to using a sump pump. Now I don't know much about going about this, so I was wondering if anyone could give some good advise. How big does the sump pump have to be? With the tank having water and corals and fish in it already I'm guessing it's not possible to drill the tank so I'm thinking I'd have to go in over the top of the tank with lines, like I do with my filter now, is that correct? I'm just looking into doing this at this time so any advise would help.

Thanks,

Colin

mike31154
12-28-2009, 04:16 AM
There are a number of solutions including ready made overflow boxes for undrilled systems. However, if you can find a way to drill the tank, that would be preferable. This does not have to be the bottom of the tank either, many overflows are designed with holes drilled near the top of the display tank. The issue with over the top style overflow systems is that they are prone to losing 'siphon' and this will starve your return pump if not noticed in due time. There are other consequences as well, hence the better way is to drill the display for proper drain.

As far as return pump size, this will depend on the size of your system and the amount of head pressure the pump has to overcome to return the water to the display.

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 04:31 AM
how would a side drilled overflow lose siphon??

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 04:32 AM
how would a side drilled overflow lose siphon??

mike31154
12-28-2009, 04:35 AM
It wouldn't. I was referring to the U tube hang on overflow boxes that are available.

blueyota
12-28-2009, 04:35 AM
read the whole post :razz: Mike is talking about the over the top siphon style over flows

ZachAttack
12-28-2009, 04:39 AM
right... sorry guys.

Skimmerking
12-28-2009, 04:41 AM
a over the top over flow has water on both sides this aids in the tube that goes over the tank to always have water pressure somewhat to keep the water in the tube in the event of a power outtage.

Bob
12-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I have used and still use overflow box's....the design is so much better now....I have one on a 72 gallon tang...Even if power goes out...they start up just fine....buy a pump that is rated higher than you need...I use a aquamedic 3500

biggerstretch
12-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Over flow boxes work however I still don't trust them ... I have drilled the top back of several tanks and find that to work just fine. Get a sump return pump that will handle the head pressure you will have from pumping the water to the top of the tank however don't use too big of a pump as it could over power your filter in your sump .... use your return pump for just moving water to be filtered not for flow in the tank.

Snufflupagus
12-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the information guys. I'll have to do my research and get a grasp on what I need to do. Thanks again for the advise.