PDA

View Full Version : Does reactor media have a finite useful lifespan?

Delphinus
09-16-2003, 04:04 PM
I kind of figured I'd be able to use the stuff indefinitely. But lately it seems to be getting compacted down in my reactor (reactor went online in December for me, so only 3/4 of a year so far). I tried rinsing it, but no amount of rinsing would make the stuff rinse clean (i.e., rinse after rinse of white muddy water). I think it's compacting and it's too hard to for my pump to push water through so the bottom chamber is starting to cavitate.

I went and bought some new media and topped up my reactor. The old media is on the bottom and is quite stark white in colour whereas the new stuff on the top has more of a beige colour (I'm using A.R.M.). To the eye, the particle size is not really any different.

Is my old stuff just spent? Do you have discard media after a while? Is it normal for it to not last a year? I was hoping for at least a year out of the stuff... actually I was hoping to never have to replace it but failing that I was hoping for a yearly schedule. Oh well..

monza
09-17-2003, 01:34 AM
"Hydrocarbonate is consumed by the chemical reaction and has to be refilled from time to time. Every two years it should be replaced completely."
A quote from my manual.

I've had my reactor for less then a year so I have no history to give you. I would guess larger amounts of Co2 flowing would consume the media quicker.

dave

Buccaneer
09-17-2003, 01:42 AM
The media is basically dissolving Tony so it looks like the levels are lowering ... the cloudiness when rinsing is probably what is left over after the media dissolves IMO ... not sure whether it is necessary to rinse ?

EDIT ... I see now where you said you are rinsing because of compaction :eek:

Cheers

Delphinus
09-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Thanks guys..

Come on others -- I know there are some out there with more experience with reactors than 1 year. What's the word -- ever replace media? Lee? Brad? Jamie? Doug? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? (Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?)

Aquattro
09-17-2003, 02:40 AM
Tony, if my media turns "sludgy", I replace it. This happens near the bottom of the tube, maybe 2 or 3 inches worth.

zulu_principle
09-17-2003, 05:07 AM
I agree with Brad, but it also depends on the pH of the effluent.

If its 6.something you know a reaction is still taking place, why would you replace it ??

Wendell

Doug
09-17-2003, 12:55 PM
Tony, I have changed things so much over the last couple years, I have never got to the bottom of my reactor, esp. the biggy I have now. :lol:

But yes, I have read where most others throw the finer sludge left near the bottom away. Makes good sandbed in your refigium. :biggrin:

Delphinus
09-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Basically reading between the lines, the media is not the cause of my reactor problems. That's basically the info I'm looking for.. thanks

Aquattro
09-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Tony, what kind of problem is it having?