PDA

View Full Version : Blue Knuckle vs. Fire Shrimp...???

doch
12-27-2009, 03:25 AM
So, earlier today I picked up 3 fire shrimp from an LFS... later in the evening I notice that one of the is not moving, I inspect closer and there are 2 hermits (one blue knuckle, and one tiny blue leg) eating him. Are blue knuckles known to kill shrimp and eat them, or is it more likely that the shrimp just died, and the crab took advantage? BTW, the other 2 fire shrimp seem to be doing fine.

naesco
12-27-2009, 03:32 AM
So, earlier today I picked up 3 fire shrimp from an LFS... later in the evening I notice that one of the is not moving, I inspect closer and there are 2 hermits (one blue knuckle, and one tiny blue leg) eating him. Are blue knuckles known to kill shrimp and eat them, or is it more likely that the shrimp just died, and the crab took advantage? BTW, the other 2 fire shrimp seem to be doing fine.

How and how long did you acclimatize the shrimp?

I doubt the hermits killed the shrimp. However hermit crabs are predators and will kill and eat all the tiny beneficial critters in your tank, rock and sand which is the reason why they are not recommended for reef tanks. It is ok to have a couple as they are interesting to watch.

BlueWorldAquatic
12-27-2009, 03:33 AM
More than likely the shrimp dies during acclimation, they are very sensitive to it. I remember I lost 6 cleaners in a week due to a bad method when I started.

Crabs are scavangers and oppertunists, more than likely they found a free meal.

Are you sure it was a dead shrimp, and not a molt? jsut had to ask as I have had a few people bring in molts and said their shrimp died. :mrgreen:

Ken

doch
12-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, I floated the bag for about 20 minutes, and part way through i added a few cups of water, then slowly dumped the bag. Maybe I should have taken more time?

Ken, it was definetly a full shrimp... unfortunately.

I just find it strange that the other 2 seem fine.

Anybody else have the same opinion as naesco on hermit crabs in reef tanks? I've never heard this before.

workn2hard2day
12-27-2009, 05:06 PM
snipped from link below

Acclimating Snails, Crabs, Shrimp, and Starfish

Caution: Your Cleanup Critters are the most fragile during acclimation ( they are very sensitive to salinity and ph change), and need to be acclimated very slowly, over a period of approximately two hours. Do not rush this procedure or losses will occur.

Acclimation Procedure: Snails, starfish, and other inverts are very sensitive to minor salinity and ph changes and must be slowly drip acclimated to insure their survival. Place invertebrates in a container and use a drip line to slowly acclimate all invertebrates. It is critical that invertebrates be slowly acclimated!! Drip acclimate at a rate of 1-2 drops per second for at least 2 hours.

http://www.aquacon.com/chat.html

doch
12-27-2009, 06:15 PM
So what you're saying is that I'm lucky to still have 2?

naesco
12-27-2009, 06:25 PM
So what you're saying is that I'm lucky to still have 2?

Yes, if the two survive.

Here is a link which may be helpful.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

BTW, my opinion is based on Dr. Ron Shimek's book, Marine Invertebrates. He is the acknowledged expert on marine invertebrates and my own experience.

fkshiu
12-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I only have 5 or 6 scarlet hermits in my 150 gallon system. They are the most docile of hermits IME - they've even spawned a few times. All other hermits are potentially bad news.