PDA

View Full Version : additives to buy?

manaf
12-27-2009, 02:40 AM
hey since its boxing day i think its best to buy some additves and all those solutions to either increase coral growth or keep the tank clean ,

im not too sure what to get can u guys give me a couple of things u guys use for ur reef set up thx:mrgreen:

naesco
12-27-2009, 02:52 AM
hey since its boxing day i think its best to buy some additves and all those solutions to either increase coral growth or keep the tank clean ,

im not too sure what to get can u guys give me a couple of things u guys use for ur reef set up thx:mrgreen:

You don't need anything except Kalk to keep your tank nice and healthy.

danny zubot
12-27-2009, 02:59 AM
Check out this article, it should explain everything you really need to know about suppliments. Half way down is the suppliments part.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2009-04/newbie/index.php

manaf
12-27-2009, 02:59 AM
You don't need anything except Kalk to keep your tank nice and healthy.

oo really? i thought everyone uses alot of supplements lol what does kalk do?

manaf
12-27-2009, 03:00 AM
Check out this article, it should explain everything you really need to know about suppliments. Half way down is the suppliments part.

thx im going to check it out right now!

naesco
12-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Great article. Must read for all reefers.

The only omission IME is that you need the LFS recommended CUC (clean up crew). ha ha

danny zubot
12-27-2009, 05:25 AM
IMO, calcium, carbonates and MG are the main three. All other traces can be added through your water changes. I still dose what suppliments that I have left from before I discovered that article, but once they're gone I won't replace them. For the same price as all of the suppliments I used to buy, I can get a high grade reef salt. Plus the reef salt adds much more.

viperfish
12-27-2009, 05:18 PM
I wonder what those "Zeo" folks would say about that? It's refreshing to have a credible source reinforce the fact that a small fortune doesn't HAVE to be spent to have a reef tank. There is such a huge turnover of people in this hobby and I'm sure the expense is one of the highest contributing factors. It costs enough to sustain a reef without having to buy into all the Snake Oil that is out there.

danny zubot
12-27-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm sure the Zeo folks would say that the article doesn't apply to them, because Zeo is a nutrient export practice yada yada yada, or something to that effect.:mrgreen: Still, isn't most nutrient export done by water changes and live rock?

globaldesigns
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I wonder what those "Zeo" folks would say about that? It's refreshing to have a credible source reinforce the fact that a small fortune doesn't HAVE to be spent to have a reef tank. There is such a huge turnover of people in this hobby and I'm sure the expense is one of the highest contributing factors. It costs enough to sustain a reef without having to buy into all the Snake Oil that is out there.

I am a Zeo guy, all I can say is there are many ways to keep a reef. Zeo isn't the only and may not be the best one, but it is what I chose.

If you are going to just dose basic supplements, then water changes with a good salt would take care of most of what you need. But I do want to add, that besides adding MG, you need to look at Strontium and Potassium. These other 2 minerals are not usually in abundance (or required amounts) in the salt mixes, so you would need to add seperately along with the MG.

Also what I am stating pertains to more of the SPS, if you not keeping any, then maybe water changes is enough.

Have fun all!!!

fkshiu
12-27-2009, 08:57 PM
The OP has just started his first SW tank so all he needs are the basics. I'm sure any ZEO person would agree with that. As the OP progresses he, like any one else, may wish to tweak and experiment with things such as ZEO.

Eyford01
12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I've been thinking of starting kalk but until now have never dosed anything and keep all types of coral... Maybe pick the one with the prettiest pictures?

danny zubot
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Kalk is great as an additive to maintain your calcium and Kh. It's a PITA to dose though if you don't have a reactor. I use a bucket with a IV drip line attached to it. It clogs up all the time, and I usually have to stir it a few times during the drip. A reactor would be better, but I'm too cheep to buy one.:lol: