PDA

View Full Version : feeding help lionfish

manaf
12-26-2009, 08:49 PM
so i have this shortfin zebra lionfish for about 1 week now and be4 i bought him i saw him eating white cloud minnows i believe not sure but he was eating them so i bought some today for him and he doesnt seem to show intrest i want to train him to get on frozen sooner or later i dont mind feeding him feeders atm but he doesnt seem to go for it,

any help? tips? personal exp?

thx alot:mrgreen:

FitoPharmer
12-26-2009, 11:13 PM
normally at the pet store i worked at we fed them gold fish. i would not recommend this, IMO saltwater fish should eat other saltwater fish. but i have heard may people have success by attaching a silverside or just a piece to a preferably clear rod, then begin moving the silverside around the tank like it was alive with the rod. after he catches on he will grab almost anything moving on the rod.

manaf
12-27-2009, 12:27 AM
thx i will try that but hes pretty small thats why i had to get white cloud minnows even the smallest goldfish are to big for him but im going to try that with the rod just gotta find a clear one..

BlueWorldAquatic
12-27-2009, 01:11 AM
Rosy barb minnows work, goldfsh are bad due to the skeletal structure, the heads do not break down in the digestive system as easily.

Silversides dipped in garlic, then large mysis work well.

Use a feeding stick, get an acrylic tube (smaller the better) and use thinker fish line in it. Move it around to make the silversides look alive. Key is leave the heads on.

Lions can take up to 2 weeks to eat, but we get ours eating in about 72 hours.

Ken - BWA

manaf
12-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Rosy barb minnows work, goldfsh are bad due to the skeletal structure, the heads do not break down in the digestive system as easily.

Silversides dipped in garlic, then large mysis work well.

Use a feeding stick, get an acrylic tube (smaller the better) and use thinker fish line in it. Move it around to make the silversides look alive. Key is leave the heads on.

Lions can take up to 2 weeks to eat, but we get ours eating in about 72 hours.

Ken - BWA

wow thx for the help!:mrgreen: just quick question how long does it last without eating?

BlueWorldAquatic
12-27-2009, 01:58 AM
2 weeks or so.

watch if his stomach is concave, if he is fat still don't worry.

Ken

manaf
12-27-2009, 02:06 AM
2 weeks or so.

watch if his stomach is concave, if he is fat still don't worry.

Ken

o okay hes still fat so its okay, im planning on picking up a feeding rod 2morro and see how that goes , would u say guppies are good feeders?

BlueWorldAquatic
12-27-2009, 03:08 AM
If you can find them, rosy barb minnows for live food, or silversides in garlic with a feeding stick.

Ken

Skimmerking
12-27-2009, 05:21 AM
what the heck is a silverside

FitoPharmer
12-27-2009, 07:03 AM
http://images.google.ca/images?q=silverside&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi
the fish one:mrgreen:

The Grizz
12-27-2009, 07:35 AM
My very large Volitain Lion fish eat's a full silverside (about 3" long) cut in half soaked in garlic once every couple of day's. He was beening feed live goldfish when we got him with the 65 gal tank we bought used. We had to starve him about 14 day's and then introduce the silverside's to him. I use a long set of feeding tong's. I can tell when he is hungery by his action's of swimming near the top of the tank. This is just my experience, Ken now's his stuff more then me so just my 2 cent's.

manaf
12-27-2009, 09:06 AM
My very large Volitain Lion fish eat's a full silverside (about 3" long) cut in half soaked in garlic once every couple of day's. He was beening feed live goldfish when we got him with the 65 gal tank we bought used. We had to starve him about 14 day's and then introduce the silverside's to him. I use a long set of feeding tong's. I can tell when he is hungery by his action's of swimming near the top of the tank. This is just my experience, Ken now's his stuff more then me so just my 2 cent's.

thats grizz the more info the better im going to try that but my zebra lionfish hasent been swimming around in the middle of the tank he does come out but he swims from rock to rock just not out in the open , would my flowrate be a problem for him if its too strong?

hipp77
12-28-2009, 03:05 AM
I have feed mine baby black mollies that I have raised in saltwater, until I get them on silversides or even cichlid sticks or HBH Super Soft Krill Fish Food (Small Pellet)

http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/FD-BSSK093/HBH+Super+Soft+Krill+Fish+Food+%28Small+Pellet%29+-+93+Gram.html