PDA

View Full Version : Lighting questions

danny zubot
12-24-2009, 08:45 PM
As far as light intensity is concerned, how do T5's compare to MH? For example, would 4x 24 watt 10000K compare to a 150 watt MH?

FitoPharmer
12-24-2009, 10:28 PM
the best part to T5's IMO is you can overdrive the bulbs, so if you run 4 24W bulbs on 2 dual 36W ballasts they would match the intensity of a 150W or exceed it. the bulbs would only need to be changed a little more often.

Delphinus
12-25-2009, 05:45 AM
I'd say it depends, but the basic gyst is yes it compares. The thing with T5's is you can cover the square footage of the tank with lights, so it's a pretty even intensity.

In the whole T5 vs halide question I don't really consider one better than the other. I like both, I don't really think one trumps the other in all scenarios. At $25 per lamp with 4 of them, for example, the cost of a complete lamp change-out is pretty much the same as replacing a halide.

Ran 4x24w over a 20g for a while and was able to pretty much keep anything in that tank.

lorenz0
12-25-2009, 06:25 AM
all depends what 4x24 watt fixture it is. depends on what type of reflectors it has. a single reflector fixture, nope. a Individual reflector fixture, yes. also depends on your bulb combo. Some t5 guys run pure actinic's to bring the par down for lower light corals while others would only run like a actinic plus to still get the highest par as possiable.

schroeder
12-25-2009, 08:47 AM
T5 means no shimmer i.e. refraction lines...

I'm moving from flourescent to halide because of the look that halide gives, regardless of intensity.

danny zubot
12-26-2009, 04:19 AM
I would miss the shimmering effect that MH gives, but I kind of want to try something new. I have 2 24 watt T5 actinics right now so I could devote all four bulbs to a full sprectum of bulbs. I have an SPS dominated tank though and I'm worried that 6 t5's won't be enough. Currently I'm using a 400 watt light, but have to keep all of my corals low in the tank to prevent burning.

Regarding overdriving these bulbs; would I be able to do this with my Workhorse 7 ballast, or would that be too much? Sorry, I'm limited with my electrical knowledge.

danny zubot
12-26-2009, 04:23 AM
all depends what 4x24 watt fixture it is. depends on what type of reflectors it has. a single reflector fixture, nope. a Individual reflector fixture, yes. also depends on your bulb combo. Some t5 guys run pure actinic's to bring the par down for lower light corals while others would only run like a actinic plus to still get the highest par as possiable.

The one I had in mind is the New Wave 4 bulbs fixture. It's economical because it isn't pretty, but it would be housed in an enclosed canopy type thing anyway. It has individual "German" reflectors.

lorenz0
12-26-2009, 05:34 AM
with that fixture, you should be good for almost anything you wanted, depending on the depth of width of the tank

edit...

almost anything. lower light sps for sure near the top

fishytime
12-26-2009, 02:43 PM
The "new wave" only has one cord, so no dawn/dusk effect....It also doesnt have polished reflectors.....and in case you didnt know, Im only running 6 bulbs:wink:

danny zubot
12-26-2009, 04:47 PM
Well, something like the New wave then. I understand the importance of the reflector. Time to start shopping! Thanks everyone for your help.

danny zubot
12-27-2009, 03:03 AM
I ended up ordering 2x 24" dual T5 fixtures (Nova Extreme). They have parabolic reflectors, but don't have fans in them to increase the cost. Each comes with a 10K and an actinic, which I'll likely swap out with my full spectrums since I already have actinics. I think this was the best bang for my buck and I hope that I made the right decision. Either way I look at it I was about to spend almost $200 on lights, on either a ballast or a fixture.