PDA

View Full Version : how to hide my overflow?

jimbo222
12-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Just curious to what idea's everyone comes up with to hide their overflow box's from the main display viewing area.
It's an external overflow that is starting to look really ugly on the inside.
only thing i can think of is a sheet of acrylic sprayed black on the inside of the aquarium.unless they make black acrylic that is safe to use in the aquarium.
any idea's
thanks....

soapy
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
I have the same problem except mine is worse since it is an internal overflow. The new plan for my tank is to build a rock wall right up in front of it to hide it away. Also I am going to try an experiment with the overflow and fill it with sand for use as a DSB.

Myka
12-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I have some thin black acrylic siliconed to the tank side of my internal overflow box. Does the trick.

bvlester
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I'd just let the coriline algea grow and it will hide the overflow a bit slow bit it will be a natural look once it has grown in. I've been scraping coriline off the back wall for about a month now It has been growing there better than anywhere else since I'v been dosing with purple up. My rocks have been growing coriline prity good but the new sea urchin eats a bit of it along with the algea roots it's taking out of the tank. Urchins very good algea eaters.

Bill

ponokareefer
12-22-2009, 08:37 PM
You could find some green star polyps and put them against the glass there, and hopefully they will spread over the entire area. I know they usually spread like weeds for most people.

jimbo222
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
hmm all great ideas. thanks.
not sure what to do but will try to post my solution when i figure it out.

lastlight
12-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I wanted to be able to scrape my back wall with a razorblade so I ruled out a piece of acrylic. What I ended up doing was painting the inside of my overflow with black paint (same as back of tank) and then I siliconed a new piece of glass OVER the painted area so water would not contact it.

The overflow area still looked like a slightly different black than the rest of the tank but it worked well.

fishytime
12-22-2009, 09:27 PM
More rock?

jimbo222
12-22-2009, 09:36 PM
More rock?

i was considering more rock with the big Red Coral sale:biggrin:
but was trying to avoid a mini cycle.

mark
12-22-2009, 10:01 PM
my overflows are covered on the outside with ~1/8" black acrylic sheets now being covered with corilline, GSP, mushrooms, zoa and got some monti cap to attached.

fishytime
12-23-2009, 12:47 PM
i was considering more rock with the big Red Coral sale:biggrin:
but was trying to avoid a mini cycle.

I routinely add up to a few pounds of LR to my system at a time....you could always pick up what you need and store it in a rubbermaid with a heater and a powerhead and add it slowly over time?