PDA

View Full Version : How do you add zeo additives?

kien
12-22-2009, 04:09 PM
For those adding Zeo additives, do you add one product at a time or do you mix them all up into a little container and then dump the whole concoction in? Is that even safe to do? I'm talking about additives like Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acids, and Xtra and maybe coral snow. I bought this stuff a while ago but am just now starting to think about adding it.

Part of the reason I'm asking is this.. I have to be honest, I am very lazy and I anticipate tiring of adding all these individual additives every day so I would like to dose them if I can. I realize that a very small amount is added each time but my dosing pump can handle that minute volume. Also, I'm wondering if maybe I can mix up a super concoction with some RO/DI water, put it into a 2 liter jug and dose this zeo stuff with my calc and alk. I know that Coral snow wouldn't work because it is a clay like fluid that needs to be shaken and stirred and would gunk up my doser, but all the other zeo stuff seems quite uniformly fluid.

Thoughts? Suggestions, comments? I should just suck it up and take my coral additives like a man? :lol:

globaldesigns
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
For those adding Zeo additives, do you add one product at a time or do you mix them all up into a little container and then dump the whole concoction in? Is that even safe to do? I'm talking about additives like Sponge Power, Coral Vitalizer, Amino Acids, and Xtra and maybe coral snow. I bought this stuff a while ago but am just now starting to think about adding it.

Part of the reason I'm asking is this.. I have to be honest, I am very lazy and I anticipate tiring of adding all these individual additives every day so I would like to dose them if I can. I realize that a very small amount is added each time but my dosing pump can handle that minute volume. Also, I'm wondering if maybe I can mix up a super concoction with some RO/DI water, put it into a 2 liter jug and dose this zeo stuff with my calc and alk. I know that Coral snow wouldn't work because it is a clay like fluid that needs to be shaken and stirred and would gunk up my doser, but all the other zeo stuff seems quite uniformly fluid.

Thoughts? Suggestions, comments? I should just suck it up and take my coral additives like a man? :lol:

I dose twice a day, both being the half dosage of the daily max...

Here is my dosage regime:

morning: MG, Str, Calcium, Trace elements with Coral Snow
Lunch when lights come on: 50% dosage of LPS Amino, Pohls Extra, Coral Vit, Amino Acids, k Balance, ZeoStart2
Dinner (6pmish): second dose of 50% of recommended amount

Twice a week (Wed & Sun) I do the dosage of ZeoFood and ZeoBac included with the lunch and dinner dosages. And on Sunday I usually include the same for ZeoSpur2

I hope this makes sense, pm me if you need more help.

Rick

kien
12-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks, and ya, that makes sense.. except... how do you dose? :-) do you do one product at a time or do you mix all the products that you are about to dose into a little container and dump them in all at once? Doesn't sound like you're using a doser? I would like to use a doser if possible.

globaldesigns
12-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks, and ya, that makes sense.. except... how do you dose? :-) do you do one product at a time or do you mix all the products that you are about to dose into a little container and dump them in all at once? Doesn't sound like you're using a doser? I would like to use a doser if possible.

Sorry forgot that part. I use a measuring cup with some tank water in it, add the dosages to it, stir it up and then add into my main tank area.

I don't use a doser, I guess you can, but be careful not to overdose.

kien
12-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Sorry forgot that part. I use a measuring cup with some tank water in it, add the dosages to it, stir it up and then add into my main tank area.

I don't use a doser, I guess you can, but be careful not to overdose.

Ah cool. So it sounds like it is okay to mix all that stuff together prior to adding to the tank.

Thanks!

hummer
12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
I only have Coral Snow and Coral Vitalizer to try out. I believe I read somewhere that it's recommended that you mix the two together before adding. So that's what I've been doing.

Delphinus
12-22-2009, 04:36 PM
I add them one at a time. I'm lazy too, but dosing a few drops of this and a couple drops of that is completely inconsequential to me. I feed the fish everyday and do it at the same time. "Lazy" to me means bigger ticket items get slacked off on: like - I'll empty my skimmer collection cup tomorrow. I'll clean my glass tomorrow. It's too late in the day to start a water change. Etc.

Even if I automated the feeding aspect, I would only use it to increase frequency of feedings, I'd still do a once per day manual offering of food. That's "my time with the fish", I can see how they're doing, etc.etc. That's a big part of the joy for me, so I wouldn't give it up anyhow.

The main worry though is if I'm not home, ie, vacation or site trip or whatever. That's a little different. And yeah, automation would be nice in those cases but you can't automate absolutely everything anyhow, so I don't know what the answer is. My intuition says it's probably not worth it, but I can't enumerate any good reasons for why I feel that way.

kien
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
.. but you can't automate absolutely everything anyhow..

that sounds like a challenge or a dare! :lol:

Myka
12-22-2009, 05:38 PM
All the additives you listed in your original post can be added to each other and dosed as one. However, I'm not sure if you could use a doser as I don't know how these additives would react to each other when mixed together for such a long period. Also, CV needs to be refrigerated after opening. You will want to change the dosing as well as you go. You may decide you want to add more SP and less CV for example, and that would be difficult if you mixed it all together already.

Most people suggest and practice dosing most additives (especially food-type) at night after lights out. This gives the corals time to use the additives before the lights come on. I find I get the best daylight polyp extension when I dose Zeo at night as well. If added during the light hours algae may have a better chance to enjoy a portion of your additives.

When I dose, I have a small glass cup that I put everything (that is compatible) into, mix it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add it to the sump in one go. The CS will take some agitation to get the residue out.

Also, I would suggest you dose 1/2 of what the bottle says (the Zeo forums will suggest this as well, but in more words). For example, instead of dosing SP 1 drop per 25 gallons daily, dose SP 1 drop per 25 gallons 3x per week (or every second day). The dosing suggestions on the bottles is quite aggressive. You will find your tank may be sensitive to dosing of one product or another, and may use aggressive dosing of another. For example, my tank is sensitive to CV dosing I have to dose very gently or I will get cyano and diatoms. I can dose the heck out of PIF though. :D

Delphinus
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
PIF? Potassium Iodide Fluoride? Wow, you're really into the system! I never really went beyond Big 4, a couple amino acids and Sponge Power.

I just like saying "Sponge Power". You have to say it like a superhero though. "Now is it time for ... SPONGE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

NuraNori
12-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey Myka, we are dosing 3 drops in our 75G tank right now for the CV and have seen an increase in algae. It's pretty bad now and it was crystal clear before. So you found that decreasing to 1 drop lets say fixed this problem? Just want to make sure I know what you mean by dosing gently. Thanks!

All the additives you listed in your original post can be added to each other and dosed as one. However, I'm not sure if you could use a doser as I don't know how these additives would react to each other when mixed together for such a long period. Also, CV needs to be refrigerated after opening. You will want to change the dosing as well as you go. You may decide you want to add more SP and less CV for example, and that would be difficult if you mixed it all together already.

Most people suggest and practice dosing most additives (especially food-type) at night after lights out. This gives the corals time to use the additives before the lights come on. I find I get the best daylight polyp extension when I dose Zeo at night as well. If added during the light hours algae may have a better chance to enjoy a portion of your additives.

When I dose, I have a small glass cup that I put everything (that is compatible) into, mix it up, let it sit for 5 minutes, then add it to the sump in one go. The CS will take some agitation to get the residue out.

Also, I would suggest you dose 1/2 of what the bottle says (the Zeo forums will suggest this as well, but in more words). For example, instead of dosing SP 1 drop per 25 gallons daily, dose SP 1 drop per 25 gallons 3x per week (or every second day). The dosing suggestions on the bottles is quite aggressive. You will find your tank may be sensitive to dosing of one product or another, and may use aggressive dosing of another. For example, my tank is sensitive to CV dosing I have to dose very gently or I will get cyano and diatoms. I can dose the heck out of PIF though. :D

globaldesigns
12-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Actually Myka,

They have changed Coral Vitalizer, so you don't have to refridgerate anymore. It has been this way for quite some time now.

Myka also makes some good suggestions, dosing is different for everyone and I agree the bottles tend to be on the high side. I myself am dosing a little lighter than recommended and found better results.

Myka
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
For the record, I'm definitely not a Zeo guru. I've spent a lot of time researching and experimenting as I've stumbled through it all myself though. :lol: Hopefully some of the guys on here that have had their tank on Zeo for a longer time can pipe up.

-----------------------
LOL Tony!! I hope your tank gets....SPONGE POWER!!! :D

NuraNori, yes that's what I mean. I only dose 1-2 drops CV every second day on my 90 (w/ 15 gallons of water in sump). Every tank is different though. There are other additives that will increase algae in most tanks that are anything other than ULNS. Those additives need to be dosed very carefully on tanks that don't utilize the complete Zeo system. It's essentially adding a bunch of "food" without removing excess.

They have changed Coral Vitalizer, so you don't have to refridgerate anymore. It has been this way for quite some time now.

That's interesting. I do know they changed CV, it smells different now. However, the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums still recommended to me to keep CV in the fridge and this was fairly recently. I will have to look into it more. Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.

muck
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.
and the Beer. :mrgreen:

globaldesigns
12-22-2009, 08:40 PM
For the record, I'm definitely not a Zeo guru. I've spent a lot of time researching and experimenting as I've stumbled through it all myself though. :lol: Hopefully some of the guys on here that have had their tank on Zeo for a longer time can pipe up.

-----------------------

NuraNori, yes that's what I mean. I only dose 1-2 drops CV every second day on my 90 (w/ 15 gallons of water in sump). Every tank is different though. There are other additives that will increase algae in most tanks that are anything other than ULNS. Those additives need to be dosed very carefully on tanks that don't utilize the complete Zeo system. It's essentially adding a bunch of "food" without removing excess.

That's interesting. I do know they changed CV, it smells different now. However, the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums still recommended to me to keep CV in the fridge and this was fairly recently. I will have to look into it more. Would be nice to not have to refrigerate it...although I still have to go into the fridge to get the Bak out.

Hey Myka,

Here is a link for you and others about ZeoBAK storage:

http://www.zeovit.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18263&highlight=fridge+coral+vitalizer

albert_dao
12-22-2009, 08:51 PM

-----------------------

You don't have to refrigerate it anymore, but make sure it doesn't go over room temp.

- one of the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums

.. lol

kien
12-22-2009, 09:09 PM
You don't have to refrigerate it anymore, but make sure it doesn't go over room temp.

- one of the "pro" guys on the Zeo forums

.. lol

Hey! Don't leave me hanging here !! You never answered my question. Your thoughts about dosing zeo stuff in a doser oh wise one ?? :-D

albert_dao
12-22-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey! Don't leave me hanging here !! You never answered my question. Your thoughts about dosing zeo stuff in a doser oh wise one ?? :-D

Don't do it. One of these days, one of those pumps will go berserk and you'll dump 100 mL's of Amino Acids mixed with Pohl's Xtra mixed with Spur2 mixed with whatever else of God-knows-what into your tank or something similarly inane and preventable.

Besides... It's seriously 30 seconds of drop counting man!

Myka
12-23-2009, 11:36 PM
globaldesigns: Oh that is weird because I think it was G. Alexander that had told me to refrigerate Bak and CV!!! Maybe it was Bob then...either way saweet!!! :D

globaldesigns
12-24-2009, 01:49 AM
globaldesigns: Oh that is weird because I think it was G. Alexander that had told me to refrigerate Bak and CV!!! Maybe it was Bob then...either way saweet!!! :D

I can't remember who told me, but it is nice not having to run up and down stairs anymore to get it and then put it back. It's just nice not to have to refrigerate anything anymore

Myka
12-24-2009, 01:55 AM
Ya, well I do keep Garlic Extreme and Selcon in the fridge, but I gotta go there for the frozen food anyway since most of my fish are picky barstars (can't say the other word on here).