PDA

View Full Version : Check it out!!!! Eco Live Rock

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Has anyone else seen this. 100% of proceeds go to reef conservation. I just might order so to fill in my tank's.

http://www.ecoliverock.org/

calgaryreefer
12-21-2009, 04:45 PM
hey Grizz, thats a good find, I always wanted to try these, but not a lot of places carry it, but now at 3.5/lb and free shipping, it works for the pocket and we can do a little more to help the natural reefs.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 04:47 PM
My sentiments exactlly.

saltynuts
12-21-2009, 05:15 PM
if i remember right.( last time i tried to get it) they do not ship over the boarder.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 05:17 PM
if i remember right.( last time i tried to get it) they do not ship over the boarder.
They are located in Halifax, Nova Scotia

saltynuts
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
sorry their is one in the usa too.

JDigital
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM

That's for the Fiji Dry rock that BRS sells... They will ship their BRS Reef Saver rock across the border though. Which is basically the same as this stuff by the looks of it.

shrimpchips
12-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Not sure, but their rock looks like the DIY rock (site says 70% aragonite, 30% concrete) - not mined dry rock like Marco rock or BRS reef saver rock.

You get more interesting shapes, but the texture of the rock as well as the density/porosity would be very different.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Not sure which rock you are saying is more interesting, this stuff or Marco/BRS

shrimpchips
12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
I think in general the shapes offered by this (ecoLiveRock) are more interesting, but the Marco rocks/BRS texture and natural formation would be more appealing to myself.

Kudos to Eco Live Rock though for donating their proceeds to the reefs :)

Delphinus
12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Here's another (Canadian) vendor who sells dry rock.. http://www.reefrocks.ca/

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 05:50 PM
I like the fact that it is kured and there is to different qualities, the standard & the premium. If I was to order some I think I would get the majority in standard but get 1/3 of the quanity in the premium to get some with a little coralline. It is still cheeper then live rock for me as I have to drive to Calgary or Edmonton to get it from the LFS. Have not found anyone selling any LR out of there tank here in Red Deer yet.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 05:57 PM
The only down fall I see with ReefRocks is that you have to buy 80lbs to get free shipping. with Eco you can buy as little as 20lbs to get free shipping.

Ron99
12-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Maybe I'm a skeptic but how do they define 100% profits? Do they pay themselves a salary first and then the rest is profit? If so what percentage is left over as profit? I can't see to many people taking the time and effort to make rock and and not be compensated for their time.

Just wondering...

workn2hard2day
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's another (Canadian) vendor who sells dry rock.. http://www.reefrocks.ca/ Have you purchased this rock?

Joshua Jones
12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Fyi

are eco-live-rocks originally made from concrete?

Yes. Our eco-live-rocks are made with some concrete (aprox 30%) ... However, most of the raw material is calcium carbonate (aragonite sand, coral fragments, shell bits of oysters, mussels, scallops and snails).

The concrete used in the mixture is fully reacted. These rocks are fully "kured"... That is, the by-product of the hardening reaction of concrete (calcium hydroxide), already leached out of the rocks. Our eco-live-rock are 100% tank-safe.

Delphinus
12-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Have you purchased this rock?

No, just found it and thought it was worth sharing seeing as it's a Canadian vendor.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
Fyi

are eco-live-rocks originally made from concrete?

Yes. Our eco-live-rocks are made with some concrete (aprox 30%) ... However, most of the raw material is calcium carbonate (aragonite sand, coral fragments, shell bits of oysters, mussels, scallops and snails).

The concrete used in the mixture is fully reacted. These rocks are fully "kured"... That is, the by-product of the hardening reaction of concrete (calcium hydroxide), already leached out of the rocks. Our eco-live-rock are 100% tank-safe.
Whatcha getting at here Josh?

Joe Reefer
12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Whatcha getting at here Josh?

Sorry it was actually me posting, Josh forgot to logoff.

What I was getting at, is it sounds like homemade rock to me. You can do this yourself.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 09:22 PM
Ya sure you could if you have the time & patience to do so, lol. Neither things I have especially the later. I really only need maybe 20 - 30 lbs to finish off my tanks and can't find any LR for sale cheep in Red Deer.

shrimpchips
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Actually, I would consider this stuff for the 'base rock' since it's got a lot of holes in it where other rock tends to be more solid with smaller spaces within the rock.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I was thinking the same thing to help build up the back of my tank. I have a couple peice's that look similar.

Strickland_673
09-24-2010, 10:35 PM
I bought a piece of their "Premium Rock" today, and it is amazing!!!
I needed a piece to seed my base rock, and i am super happy with the piece I got!!!
The shape of the rock is perfect, and the corraline is outragous!!!!

muck
09-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I bought a piece of their "Premium Rock" today, and it is amazing!!!
I needed a piece to seed my base rock, and i am super happy with the piece I got!!!
The shape of the rock is perfect, and the corraline is outragous!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen.. :razz::razz:

Strickland_673
09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Check my Tank Build thread. just added pictures there.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68307

The Grizz
09-25-2010, 04:16 PM
That is a nice piece and I am glad someone has tried this stuff. I totally forgot that I started this thread. :lol:

daniella3d
09-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I use Totoka liverock and nothing else. Live rock is the most important part of a reef aquarium and to do its job right it must be very porous. The useable surface must be large. If you have 100lbs of live rock in your aquarium and only 1% consist of surface, then very little bacterias will be able to colonize it and filter the water.

The Totoka liverock is very porous and has a lot of fingers like extensions all over so the actual surface is HUGE. 20 lbs of Totoka equal 100lbs or hard non-porous and heavy liverock.

I consider more important to preserve the wild reef by keeping what I have in my tank alive so I wont have to buy tons of livestock that keep dying. Plus the liverock that we have in our aquarium rarely goes to waste. If I get out of the hobby I will sell my liverock to other hobbiest starting. It's easy to sell good liverock.

Has anyone else seen this. 100% of proceeds go to reef conservation. I just might order so to fill in my tank's.

http://www.ecoliverock.org/