PDA

View Full Version : Wondering Were You Get Your Marine FIsh??

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi all in Alberta, I was wondering how many of you have ordered Marine Fish from online vendors like J&L (the only one I can think of as I was just looking at there site). I have only done this with The Reef Shoppe, Kelly has top notch service, knowledge and product's (livestock & dry).

My curious mind want's to know, what do you do???

muck
12-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I have ordered fish and other livestock from both JLs and Ocean Aquatics in BC multiple times. No problems on any of the shipments. Always got quality specimens and packaging was top notch.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
You have to pick up at the airport? Where do you have to go at the airport for pick up? They have some good pricing, is it comparable to buying from LFS with the shipping cost?

muck
12-21-2009, 02:33 PM
This was a few years back and i believe they both came over-night courier.

kien
12-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Got a couple of starfish (the one in my avatar) and a Gorgonia from J&Ls not too long ago. They ship Air Canada Cargo and you go pick it up at the airport when it arrives. All livestock is doing great. Would and probably will order from them again.

P.S. Last shipment from J&Ls had a heat pack in it. First time I'd ever seen one of those and it was still warm when I got it.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Cool I might look in to ordering some livestock prices are great even when you fact in the shipping

Pier Pressure
12-21-2009, 06:40 PM
I ordered a large clean up crew and three fish from J&L once and they shipped it through the airport. I had to pick it up there, but everything did very well.

Myka
12-21-2009, 11:52 PM
I used to order everything from J&L when I lived in Kelowna. Now I either buy locally at Bayside Corals or order from The Reef Shoppe. I would rate both of my local(ish) vendors better than J&L.

The Grizz
12-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I used to order everything from J&L when I lived in Kelowna. Now I either buy locally at Bayside Corals or order from The Reef Shoppe. I would rate both of my local(ish) vendors better than J&L.
I have got livestock & coral from Kelly @ The Reef Shoppe as well. He is an awesome dude to deal with.

randy123
12-23-2009, 01:08 AM
J&L does prefer to ship to airports. They will do UPS, but choosing that method of shipment voids the "arrive alive" guarantee. I risked it with the UPS, and my mystery wrasse made it okay.

reef_rookie
12-23-2009, 01:25 AM
I just got a shipment from Colby at Bayside! He shipped west jet. Left at 9:00am and I picked it up at the airport at noon the same day! Everything was amazing!! Just like the pictures!

I also bought some corals from Wicked frags with no problems! I picked these up at the UPS depot at the airport.

ponokareefer
12-23-2009, 01:34 AM
I have placed orders from a few vendors who shipped to me by UPS, and I will never do it again. I had some success the first couple of times a few years back, but the last few made me regret doing it. I had issues on my last order, and the LFS refused to respond to PM's, e-mails and brushed me off on phone calls.
I really prefer to see the fish eat, and know how it is acting first hand before I make the purchase. Also, I have had mix ups on what the type of fish I was getting as different LFS's use different names for fish. I ordered a leopard wrasse, and ended up with a dusky wrasse as an example of that. If you're looking at doing it by airport, you have to drive to Edmonton/Calgary anyway, where a lot of the LFS's are on this site. I know the price can be enticing at some of these places, but I will never risk it again.

The Grizz
12-23-2009, 02:44 AM
I have placed orders from a few vendors who shipped to me by UPS, and I will never do it again. I had some success the first couple of times a few years back, but the last few made me regret doing it. I had issues on my last order, and the LFS refused to respond to PM's, e-mails and brushed me off on phone calls.
I really prefer to see the fish eat, and know how it is acting first hand before I make the purchase. Also, I have had mix ups on what the type of fish I was getting as different LFS's use different names for fish. I ordered a leopard wrasse, and ended up with a dusky wrasse as an example of that. If you're looking at doing it by airport, you have to drive to Edmonton/Calgary anyway, where a lot of the LFS's are on this site. I know the price can be enticing at some of these places, but I will never risk it again.
Have you ever tryed The Reef Shoppe? Kelly is awesome and makes several trip to Edmonton. Him & I make arrangments to meet at the airport for me to pick up and pay him. Work good for me.