PDA

View Full Version : Ordering a CUC in Canada?

rocco134
12-21-2009, 06:10 AM
any one know where i can order a large clean up crew, for my 120, here in Canada (or anyone that will ship to Canada)?

DBM
12-21-2009, 06:14 AM
I would think J&L would be your best bet.

rocco134
12-21-2009, 06:24 AM
thanks

Ian
12-21-2009, 06:17 PM
I am sure you could work a deal with Blue world....Just go in and let him kow what you need/want and go from there.

Pier Pressure
12-21-2009, 06:38 PM
I found J&L had a nice selection, and they have great fish, too, so order as much as you want at a time as otherwise shipping will kill you!

naesco
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Be careful about ordering clean up crews.
Most of them contain hermit crabs which are predators. A couple of them is fine.
Most of them also contain a variety of snails. Far to many for what you really need with the result that they starve and pollute your tank.

The Grizz
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
any one know where i can order a large clean up crew, for my 120, here in Canada (or anyone that will ship to Canada)?
Kelly from The Reef Shoppe could help you out as well

rocco134
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
thanks guys!!

Myka
12-21-2009, 11:49 PM
Be careful about ordering clean up crews.
Most of them contain hermit crabs which are predators. A couple of them is fine.
Most of them also contain a variety of snails. Far to many for what you really need with the result that they starve and pollute your tank.

Agreed. I would also suggest you check out your local stores before ordering out of province. Blue World in Edmonton, Reef Shoppe in Lloydminster, and Red Coral in Calgary should all be able to help you out with reasonable prices, plus you save sales tax in Alberta. Bonus! :D

rocco134
12-22-2009, 04:40 AM
i was quoted $205 (shipping not included) for this package

80 blue leg hermit crabs
15 red leg hermit crabs
25 Astrea snails
25 Margarits snails
25 Cerith snails

any thoughts?

muck
12-22-2009, 05:01 AM
X the Margarita snails as they do poorly longterm in our reefs

Personally I would go with something like this for a 120g... of course the amount of CUC you need is relative to the amount of waste your tank produces.

20 - Blueleg Hermits
10 - Redleg Hermits
20 - Astrea snails
10 - Cerith snails
30 - Red Banded Trochus
10 - Tongan Nassarius (only if you have a sandbed)
1 - Strawberry or Fighting Conch (only if you have a sandbed)

dsaundry
12-22-2009, 05:29 AM
Not a big fan of Hermits most of the time, and if you order this package, when and how is it going to be shipped, you have a very small window for shipping in the winter and all it takes is on delayed or cancelled flight and you have clean-upsicles. and are out your money. Imo I would wait until spring or find somebody local.

rocco134
12-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Not a big fan of Hermits most of the time, and if you order this package, when and how is it going to be shipped, you have a very small window for shipping in the winter and all it takes is on delayed or cancelled flight and you have clean-upsicles. and are out your money. Imo I would wait until spring or find somebody local.

Chipping will be after xmas and will be shipped overnight. my preference would be locally and i am trying that route as well (want to cover all my bases:lol:)

rocco134
12-22-2009, 04:51 PM
X the Margarita snails as they do poorly longterm in our reefs

Personally I would go with something like this for a 120g... of course the amount of CUC you need is relative to the amount of waste your tank produces.

20 - Blueleg Hermits
10 - Redleg Hermits
20 - Astrea snails
10 - Cerith snails
30 - Red Banded Trochus
10 - Tongan Nassarius (only if you have a sandbed)
1 - Strawberry or Fighting Conch (only if you have a sandbed)

Hey Muck

thanks for the list! just to clarify, all should be reef safe, yes?

Myka
12-22-2009, 04:55 PM
i was quoted $205 (shipping not included) for this package

80 blue leg hermit crabs
15 red leg hermit crabs
25 Astrea snails
25 Margarits snails
25 Cerith snails

any thoughts?

Holy mackerel that's a large clean up crew! Also, all those hermits will get very hungry in a couple weeks when all the food is gone, and they will start eating the snails. If you buy a CUC that size you will have a lot of dead inverts within a month. Although they are fantastic algae eaters, the Margaritas are a temperate genus, and won't survive long-term in your tank. Also make note that your CUC will add to your bioload. More CUC, less fish.

My tank is 3/4 the size of yours (it's a 90), to give you an idea of what you're looking for, I will list what's in mine (almost all the critters are a few years old):

- 5 Astraea snails (3 different specie, my fav film algae eaters)
- 1 Nassarius snail (the lone survivor, I've never had much long-term success with these guys mainly feed on uneaten food [scavenger])
- 2 Fighting Conchs (clean the sand of film algae and scavenge as well as stirs up detritus so filters can catch it)
- 1 Black Brittle starfish (does a good job cleaning the live rocks of detritus and is a scavenger)
- 2 Emerald crabs (pick at the rocks for filamentous algae, scavenger, and very minorly help with Valonia algae, take the place of hermits imo)

- Stomatella snails (clean rock and glass, great film algae eaters and scavengers)
- Mini brittle starfish (scavenger and detritus eaters)
- Asterina starfish (scavenger and film algae eaters, and maybe detritus too?)

If you get yourself a few Stomatella snails (usually only available from other reefers or often come in as hitchhikers on live rock or corals) they will breed in the tank on their own (my population started from 2), and their population will grow and shrink to accomodate the food supply which is very handy. Most ornamental shrimp (Fire, Cleaner, Peppermint, etc) will eat them though, particularly Peppermint, so keep that in mind if you want to keep the Stomatellas alive! Asterina and mini brittle starfish will come in as hitchhikers too. They will both stay small.

rocco134
12-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks Myka!

a lot of difference of opinion here. doesn't make things any easier :lol:...

muck
12-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Hey Muck

thanks for the list! just to clarify, all should be reef safe, yes?

Yes. All are reef safe.
I should clarify that my list is based on an established system that is moderately stocked. If your system is relatively new I would maybe cut back the qty some and add more as needed.

Myka
12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Myka!

a lot of difference of opinion here. doesn't make things any easier :lol:...

I edited mine to add more information for you, take a peek back. Sorry I'm bad for that. I also agree with Muck that it's a good idea to start with a very lean CUC, and add to it if needed as time goes on. I would suggest it is probably not worth ordering a CUC (pay shipping on top of the purchase price) even if the cost per snail is higher on your local CUC. On that note, I have been considering adding another Emerald crab, but am so far undecided.

Palmer
12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I edited mine to add more information for you, take a peek back. Sorry I'm bad for that. I also agree with Muck that it's a good idea to start with a very lean CUC, and add to it if needed as time goes on. I would suggest it is probably not worth ordering a CUC (pay shipping on top of the purchase price) even if the cost per snail is higher on your local CUC. On that note, I have been considering adding another Emerald crab, but am so far undecided.

Have you lost any fish to your emerald crabs? I was thinking of getting an emerald crab but have heard of a lot of bad experiences with them. I am set on getting a porcelaine crab (although technically not a crab and more closely related to a lobster from what I have read) and have heard they are fairly fish friendly as clawed crustaceans go.)

Palmer

Myka
12-22-2009, 08:42 PM
I have never heard of a Mithrax crab killing any fish. Sometimes people blame a critter for killing a fish when he is merely scavanging an already dead fish. However, I'm on the fence with the Emeralds...the jury is still out. They have been well-behaved so far (over a year).

rocco134
12-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all the good advice guys!!

the tank is about 3 months old now and i would say its moderately stocked. basically what i am looking for is for something to help take care of the green and brown algae (mostly on the glass....and, i am guilty of using tap water but have recently started using RO water... hopefully that helps) and maybe something to sift through the sand (about 3-4" deep)

Palmer... i have only a single emerald crab and he has been quite friendly with everyone. i usually only see him when the lights are out and he happily picks away at the rock.

muck
12-22-2009, 10:33 PM
I have never heard of a Mithrax crab killing any fish. Sometimes people blame a critter for killing a fish when he is merely scavanging an already dead fish. However, I'm on the fence with the Emeralds...the jury is still out. They have been well-behaved so far (over a year).

Friend of mine had a really big emerald... largest Ive ever seen. We actually watched as he took down his yellow tang. Luckily we were there to rescue it or it would have been lunch or late night snack rather.

naesco
12-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the good advice guys!!

the tank is about 3 months old now and i would say its moderately stocked. basically what i am looking for is for something to help take care of the green and brown algae (mostly on the glass....and, i am guilty of using tap water but have recently started using RO water... hopefully that helps) and maybe something to sift through the sand (about 3-4" deep)

Palmer... i have only a single emerald crab and he has been quite friendly with everyone. i usually only see him when the lights are out and he happily picks away at the rock.

Order 2 or 3 hermits. They are fun to watch and on tenth the snails they recommend and the ones advised here.

I told you LFS CUC packages are a ripoff. Spend the money you save on a neat fish or coral.

Myka
12-22-2009, 10:48 PM
Friend of mine had a really big emerald... largest Ive ever seen. We actually watched as he took down his yellow tang. Luckily we were there to rescue it or it would have been lunch or late night snack rather.

Are you sure it was a Mithrax Emerald? Maybe the crab was misidentified. Unless the tang was like 2" long, the crab would have to be awfully large to catch it!!

muck
12-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Are you sure it was a Mithrax Emerald? Maybe the crab was misidentified. Unless the tang was like 2" long, the crab would have to be awfully large to catch it!!

Definitely a Mithrax Emerald (http://www.freshmarine.com/emerald-crab.html). We called him Popeye as his his claws were big. His carapace was probably 2" across easy.
The yellow Tang was approx 3-1/2". Never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. :eek:

Myka
12-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Wow, never seen one that big. I did make sure to pick out the smallest little Emeralds when I bought mine. They are still less than an inch across the carapace I think.

Powertec
12-22-2009, 11:25 PM
Got my tiger cuc from red coral and it has helped and i have had no problems model citizen.