PDA

View Full Version : Hanging a Tek light

belzebuth
12-20-2009, 04:05 PM
I am trying to figure out how to hang the light fixture Santa left under the tree this year :mrgreen:( T5 Tek 8 Bulbs).

I can't use the legs since the light will be going on a five foot tank. I just want easy access. As anyone used the Sun Lift hanger system?

http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=sl-zslift

Dosent look very sturdy and has a weight restriction of 22 lbs. The ceiling in my fish room is also 9 feet tall, not sure if the cables would be long enough...

My current lighting is fitted in a DIY hood attached to the wall with hinges, and need to be held with a chain when lifted, no a beauty but functional

Any suggestion would be great !
Thanx

christyf5
12-20-2009, 04:12 PM
I think the cables for the sunlight hangers are up to 14ft long. Not sure what your fixture weighs but you might be better off with these:

http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2511/Stainless-Steel-Cable-Hanger/

belzebuth
12-20-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, these look better for sure. I am just wondering how to get the light out of the way when doing maintenance ?

Tom R
12-20-2009, 04:22 PM
I am not sure of the cable strength of the Sunlight Supply unit, however the majority of these installation systems use a piano wire which is strong enough to tow a boat and usually have more than enough length.

Tom R

Tom R
12-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Yes, these look better for sure. I am just wondering how to get the light out of the way when doing maintenance ?

With your 9 foot ceiling you can just raise it higher above the tank or when I installed my Giesemann kit I mounted a pair of long 14" cabinet door handles that I attach the Giesemann cables to. I can then either raise the light or just push it out of the way. This also allows me to move the light from front to back from time to time for better coral lighting.

mytank90
12-20-2009, 07:21 PM
i use to have the sun life system on my ligh .it never worked and was a pain to figure out .bought the cable one and all i do is slide the cable threw bolt to lift light higher .bolt on light is spring loaded

Nebthet
12-21-2009, 12:47 AM
I hung my Teck light fixtures by going to Walmart and buying two planter chains (which have a 50lb allowance) and screwing them into the ceiling.
If I need to move the lights up, I just use the metal clips you can get and move up my each link until I reach the desired heighth.

belzebuth
12-21-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for all suggestion. Good start, off to study bulbs combo :biggrin: