PDA

View Full Version : electric flame scallop

manaf
12-20-2009, 01:29 AM
anyone have any exp with these? i was thinking of purchasing one at my lfs, i heard the tank needs to kind of have a excess of nutrients for it to thrive, i also read they dont last long, there isnt a solid anwser on the net so i rather get some ppls advice

thx

naesco
12-20-2009, 02:00 AM
anyone have any exp with these? i was thinking of purchasing one at my lfs, i heard the tank needs to kind of have a excess of nutrients for it to thrive, i also read they dont last long, there isnt a solid anwser on the net so i rather get some ppls advice

thx

Wow, did you still find one at a LFS. LFS should not be offering them for sale as they starve in reefers tank.
If you feed enough phytoplankton so that your water is tinged green all the time you could be successful though

tgoeujon
12-20-2009, 05:52 AM
i know im a minority as far as keeping them alive but ive had one in my tank for probably a year and a half and hes doing great. im assuming hes gaining something from the reef roid, coral frenzy i feed the tank, either that or im just lucky:biggrin:. if i had known the survival rate i wouldnt have bought mine.

whatcaneyedo
12-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I bought one when I was starting out a few years ago. My LFS gave me some bad advice and I followed it... I think mine died within a month. I've since watched my LFS bring more in, occationally they live a few months without being fed before they starve to death in their coral tank. A live phytoplankton drip is probably what they would need in most peoples systems.

manaf
12-21-2009, 07:49 AM
I bought one when I was starting out a few years ago. My LFS gave me some bad advice and I followed it... I think mine died within a month. I've since watched my LFS bring more in, occationally they live a few months without being fed before they starve to death in their coral tank. A live phytoplankton drip is probably what they would need in most peoples systems.

yea i been asking around i dont think i really want one anymore they arent worth the trouble lol clams are more beautiful imo:mrgreen:

QuadrantKhan
12-21-2009, 03:14 PM
I successfully kept one for a year and a half as well and it grew double it's size. One day it looked great and literally the next day it just melted away (and my bristle worms cleaned up the rest.) I would try one again though.:biggrin:

Eyford01
12-26-2009, 02:11 AM
i had one as well for a couple monthes but it died in the tank move, the daily feedings of live phyto and selcon seemed top keep it happy enough for the time i had it, looking to pick up another when some good ones come into a LFS

globaldesigns
12-26-2009, 07:05 PM
i agree with the others. Unless you have excess nutrients or really pay attention and spot feed, they will not survive long.

Zoaelite
12-26-2009, 08:11 PM
i agree with the others. Unless you have excess nutrients or really pay attention and spot feed, they will not survive long.

+1, that and they can land a nasty sting on anything in the tank as they have a pretty interesting swimming technique.

globaldesigns
12-26-2009, 08:45 PM
+1, that and they can land a nasty sting on anything in the tank as they have a pretty interesting swimming technique.

Yeah, watching them swim is really cool. I have seen them go in the LFS, fun to watch

Zoaelite
12-26-2009, 09:08 PM
That and the sweet light show they put on, would be a great species only tank.
Levi