PDA

View Full Version : Sketchup making me MAD!!!

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 04:33 PM
OK what am I doing wrong. I'm trying to make my tank in Sketchup, I have the bottom pane, and the back pane, but trying to make the front pane. I click one corner, then over to the other corner, click. Then go straight up fr height, but my mouse pad is not sensitive enough to just go to the height I want. I try type in 24, for 24" tall, and it makes the pane 24" long, with whatever height the mouse was at when I typed 24???? \

I did it for the back pane, whats going on here Grrrrr
Help before I go nuts

gobytron
12-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I was expecting some new and exciting condiment....

toxic111
12-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Cant't help you there.. I found sketch-up hard to use.. lol.. So I used Revit Architecture to build my stand design...

I would just go through the help files to see if you can find your answer.

gobytron
12-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I have a ruler and pencil/eraser combo that is foolproof.

will trade for frags:lol:

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Not extremely easy, but not as hard as Autocad LOL

purplepolypeater
12-19-2009, 11:12 PM
i actually found autocad easier than sketchup it took me over 3 hrs to design a tank poorly whereas i could have done an exact design through autocad in 30 minutes but i grew up using autocad versus playing with sketchup a few times.

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Ya I'm self taught on AutoCad, so theres ALOT I dont know LOL. I mainly use it in 2D mode for my milling machine drawings

purplepolypeater
12-19-2009, 11:18 PM
autocad is absolutely amazing. if you have it i would concentrate your learning efforts on that vs sketchup

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Well, this is what I came up with in Sketchup in about 3 hrs.
Woulda taken 3 days in Acad. But YES, I would rather learn Acad properly. I can't 3D model worht a crap!!!

purplepolypeater
12-19-2009, 11:31 PM
you should add the dimensions to it also as size reference

banditpowdercoat
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Ya had the little guy in there but he looked goofy, Tank is 60"x24"x24" stand OAL is 112"

Now, My whole objective was to downsize my tanks and make more sump/ATO/WC room underneath, But now, looking at the room on the right side, I could add another tank. I was thinking putting my TEK 24" 4 bulb T5 init in the canopy on left. BUT, would it have enough light for a refugeum? Mangroves maybe? Or seahorses? Hmm What to put over there that's gona look good???

Heres a pic of what stand/tank is kinda now. When we were building it.
But now I look at this pic, and I think my wifes measurements may have been off?? Doesn't look like the same room between tank and wall on the right, like she said there was?? Might be an illusion.

http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/normal_Dsc00017%7E0.jpg

toxic111
12-20-2009, 06:28 AM
<OT> Autocad is good for certain things.. used it for 20 years... now am using Revit Architecture... much nicer once you get the hang of it..

Here is my tank stand design after about 3 hrs... (this is just the rendering)

Vancouver Reefer
12-20-2009, 05:58 PM
The best way to use Sketchup is by drawing rectangles, colouring them and then use the pull/push feature.
So i would draw the footprint of the front pane on the base, then colour the rectangle, then pull it up to the height you need. Do this for each pane. On the last pane only pull it up a little way, then stop and reseect it and pull it to the top. If you dont do this it will fill in the top of the tank with a grey fill. By doing the stopping you will eliminate the filling of the top rectangle.

Does this make sense???

michika
12-20-2009, 06:09 PM
I was expecting some new and exciting condiment....

:lol::lol:

banditpowdercoat
12-20-2009, 06:41 PM
The best way to use Sketchup is by drawing rectangles, colouring them and then use the pull/push feature.
So i would draw the footprint of the front pane on the base, then colour the rectangle, then pull it up to the height you need. Do this for each pane. On the last pane only pull it up a little way, then stop and reseect it and pull it to the top. If you dont do this it will fill in the top of the tank with a grey fill. By doing the stopping you will eliminate the filling of the top rectangle.

Does this make sense???
Ya Ive been making them the Height and length I want, then pulling them the thickness.

golf nut
12-20-2009, 09:36 PM
I can't 3D model worht a crap!!!True but your spelling is improving :)

banditpowdercoat
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
LMAO Paul, Nothing wrong with my spelling. I spell every word correctly. It's my fingers, I think they are Dyslexic HAHAHAH