PDA

View Full Version : where does your clownfish sleep?

jimbo222
12-19-2009, 05:51 AM
is it ok for my new clownfish to sleep in my coral:neutral:

JDigital
12-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Clowns tend to host all kinds of corals and equipment even. Never seen them host a Chalice before.

kien
12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
My clowns host/sleep in my Goniopora. Only thing is the Goni completely retracts at night so they pretty much just sleep on a lump of rock with some skin on it.

FlamesFan
12-19-2009, 06:38 AM
my clowns host long hair ric's all day and night long. they only leave them to eat.

Eb0la11
12-19-2009, 07:13 AM
And here I am hoping my clowns host anything.

I keep forgetting what kind I have though. Anyone know what the kind is big als often has? I bought from there main clownfish tank.

I have a GBTA thats getting to be an ok size, 5" or so, and they havent shown interest so far in about a month.

kien
12-19-2009, 07:18 AM
If you're referring to that tank that has 300 clowns in it with text on the tank that says, "Hello, I'm Nemo", those are false perculas (aka, Ocellaris, aka, common clownfish) i believe. That's what I have.

I also have two wonderful Red Bubble tip anemones in my tank that the clowns don't even bat an eye at :noidea:

bvlester
12-19-2009, 07:53 AM
And here I am hoping my clowns host anything.

I keep forgetting what kind I have though. Anyone know what the kind is big als often has? I bought from there main clownfish tank.

I have a GBTA thats getting to be an ok size, 5" or so, and they havent shown interest so far in about a month.

Find one that is hosting a nem and yours will learn the trick hosting nems is a learned behavior. This is what I did and not they host a saddle green carpet nem. they get it to bunch up at night and sleep in the flolds at night they don't keep swimming at night which is wierd for a clown they look like they are hwearing scarves. I have not been able to get a pic as when the lights come on they start moving.

Bill

BlueTang<3
12-19-2009, 02:05 PM
you probably think this is retarded but i have heard that printing a picture off of clowns hosting and placing it on the window of the tank for a few weeks usually works i had success with that after mine would not host

workn2hard2day
12-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Tank 1 - 2 True Perc host in the LTA.
Tank 2 - no Anens. 2 false percs. host in an open brain & at night sleep at the top of the tank in the corner and the pink skunk swims around during the day and don't know were he sleeps.

side note.

Originally when I got the true percs. and later purchased the anen. they were in a 14 biocube. I am sure this is why they have hosted. So following this method, I am sure by placing the percs and anen in a "sick" tank which is usually smaller and has no other options I think you could "force" them to host

Oscar
12-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Either in the branching frogspawn or pulsing xenia that is on the back wall. Sometimes they point straight up and sometimes sideways.

I had a rockslide last night that broke the frogspawn in 2 large pieces. The clowns seem exposed in comparison but not nearly like some of the postings here.

Flucker
12-19-2009, 03:47 PM
My two clowns host in their huge magnificent anemone, They do dolphin dives into it and poke there heads out. Most of the time you cant see them because their relaxing in the middle. Magnificent anemones are very hard to keep but very well worth it they symbolize clowns in the wild.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3214/clowninmagnificent.jpg (http://img20.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clowninmagnificent.jpg)
Flucker

mike31154
12-19-2009, 03:55 PM
My Maroon pair are definitely attached to their BTA. During the day the male hangs out behind the rock which is kind of too bad, he's more colourful than the mama. The second photo is from a while ago, shortly after I got them paired off. Should be easy to tell how much larger the female has grown in the more recent shots.

http://hlj1yw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pDHFprCGvNPzaoE-EApjDOlzUKYRaPiXaIeYl-1yKE6AyuUCmE3ZUNZ0BcG4kcs_lBnB9WmkiGU1fZN3klDRcUJA J8U_HCHF6/P1010416a.JPG

http://hlj1yw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1py2LQuBVaCC5qJ5VUUBp6sN_A5sAammA0vVTxTim8Ih2ab8j uP2Zhlq4j8EFO13yH8kA7dYlyMP4dNl8CmOG5qpLYO4sVz_cf/DCP_2153a.JPG

http://hlj1yw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pxk9ADI_IMfilJu9ZRnRmwIW3o4esdRAAfkceD4m7lMNsLog TFS5cge6sTJWQjZbN23meLyCK5kS86ILUx7qEaiyRwIqatycI/P1010715a.JPG

jimbo222
12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
yeah i love the dumb personality that these fish have .I finally see why they are called clowns..
I was at big al's too and theire plan to mezmerize me with 200 clowns in one tank worked so i had to bring 2 home with me.:neutral:

shrimpchips
12-19-2009, 04:58 PM
My clowns host a Philadelphia cream cheese tupperware (with a red bubble tip anemone in it) :P

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll255/ashikatani/Reef%20tank/PA284004.jpg

MMAX
12-19-2009, 05:25 PM
My 2 Ocellaris sleep vertically jammed behind my filter suction pipe. They were in my tank over a year before they started hosting anything. First it was my green zoas and now they split their time between the GSP and hammer.

Eb0la11
12-19-2009, 10:48 PM
How many clowns can you have in a tank at once? I have a 165G so size isnt a huge concern, but right now I have two ocellaris and thats it.

If I did get a clown and an anemone that are already a pair, would that be too many in one tank?

Flucker
12-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I would not recommend it they would probably end up dieing.

Pier Pressure
12-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Well I just found my clowns a new home. I had a false perc and a true perc to check out the difference in their personality. The wild caught morphed into a female. I also had a blue chromis who thought he WAS a perc and considers the other two his brothers. At night I would find them sleeping on a red and green open brain coral but during the day they stayed away from it? So I guess that is not true hosting - just sleeping. These fish went from my 28 gallon to a 125 gallon so I am sure they are getting a lot more exercise nowadays!

Eb0la11
12-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Well I just found my clowns a new home. I had a false perc and a true perc to check out the difference in their personality. The wild caught morphed into a female. I also had a blue chromis who thought he WAS a perc and considers the other two his brothers. At night I would find them sleeping on a red and green open brain coral but during the day they stayed away from it? So I guess that is not true hosting - just sleeping. These fish went from my 28 gallon to a 125 gallon so I am sure they are getting a lot more exercise nowadays!

My blue/green chromis love to hang around my clowns too haha. Wonder if there is some kind of relationship there, though my clowns dont seem to like it that much haha

mitchelljared
12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Our two perculas host our carpet anemone. In the beginning, we bought what we were told to be a Heteractis magnifica anemone, and as soon as we placed it into the water, the clowns took to it, started the fighting/dominance development. Unfortunately the anemone died, then the clowns swam aimlessly around the tank. We then got a nice carpet anemone from J&L, again they took to it immediately...and it's been great ever since (about 4-5 months now).
On a side note and maybe pressing our luck, we have a GBTA on the opposite side of our tank (135 Gallons), and we're planning on getting another set of clowns to host the that anemone. Maroon clowns are more aggressive, but it's something we might try.